cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router - Networks - and WIFI

N/A

Router - Networks - and WIFI

I have an ADSL modem and a single computer but through child-pressure am being forced to install a second computer.

I would like to install a WiFi router and have both machines be able to access the internet through it (as well as being able to have a network between the 2 computers to share files/printers etc.)

Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this? Can anyone suggest suitable WiFi routers and network cards?

[just to confuse things my current computer is running Windows 98 and the new one will be XP (Home)]

Many thanks

Mark
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router - Networks - and WIFI

> I have an ADSL modem and a single computer but through child-pressure am being forced to install a second computer.
>
> I would like to install a WiFi router and have both machines be able to access the internet through it (as well as being able to have a network between the 2 computers to share files/printers etc.)
>
> Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this? Can anyone suggest suitable WiFi routers and network cards?
>
> [just to confuse things my current computer is running Windows 98 and the new one will be XP (Home)]
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark

Your in luck the May issue of Internet Magazine (just out) has an article on five different wifi ADSL routers.

By the way it doesn't matter what operating system the computers have so your okay with one computer on w98 and the other on XP.
N/A

Hi,

I use a DSL 504 router - connected to this are 3PC's and i have no problems accessing the NET.

Also i can network between PC's.

Hope this is of help.

Andy

N/A

> Hi,
>
> I use a DSL 504 router - connected to this are 3PC's and i have no problems accessing the NET.
>
> Also i can network between PC's.
>
> Hope this is of help.
>
>
> Andy
>
>

I have installed a 504 for a client and it's fine. Bear in mind though that it's not a wireless router - it's ethernet-only.
N/A

> I would like to install a WiFi router and have both machines be able to access the internet through it (as well as being able to have a network between the 2 computers to share files/printers etc.)

Solwise seems to be an excellent source of networking equipment. Their products are good value, they are very approachable and can advise you which products will suit your requirements. One of the best things is that, like PlusNet, they have a very active user forum which can be an excellent source of help and advice.

I didn't have an ADSL modem already so bought a router that incorporated a modem (SAR715PW) however I'm sure they'll have something to suit you.

I was quite apprehensive about setting up a network, especially a wireless one, but it turned out to be far less complicated than I had feared. And once you have the network, transferring files and printing across the network are dead simple.

> [just to confuse things my current computer is running Windows 98 and the new one will be XP (Home)]
>

We have Windows 95, 98 and XP Home. The process of setting up wireless connections to the 98 and XP machines was very similar. The 95 PC is connected by wire. The network card cost about £6 including VAT, so it's a good idea to use one for any PC that can be located close to the router.
N/A

> I didn't have an ADSL modem already so bought a router that incorporated a modem (SAR715PW) however I'm sure they'll have something to suit you.
>

Dear Hugh

Thank you for this - I have looked at the SOLWISE website and it looks good and reasonable prices. One final thing I am confsued by.

If I get:
a SOLWISE 715PW router modem
an ethernet card (wired to computer near router)
and a wireless PCI card for the other computer

Will this do me or do i need any other bit of kit (e.g. a Wireless Access Point whatever that is?)

Many thanks - Mark
N/A

Hello, Mark

Sorry, for the delay in replying.

No, you should have everything you need. However, if you are in any doubt I suggest you e-mail Solwise. They were very quick to respond to my questions.

The wireless router effectively incorporates a wireless access point. I think that a WAP is what you would get if you wanted to add a wireless extension to an existing wired network. When I bought an SAR715PW I also bought a PCI ethernet card to be wired to a PC near the router and a couple of wireless PCMCIA cards for laptops. Apart from microfilters, that was all I needed to set up a network and get all 3 computers onto ADSL. The ethernet cable to link the router to the wired PC was included either with the router or the card - I forget which.

Hope this helps.

Hugh