cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/Modem Setup

hektorshouse
Grafter

Router/Modem Setup

Can anybody help me with the setup of the Billion BPac Router/Modem. I have it installed, the IP Address in, the DNS Settings in, connected to the phone port etc. I have follwoed instructions and gone as far as I can but cannot seem to connect.

Anybody who has set up router modems with advice to try various stuff, help appreciated.

That's all I can give for now without causing confusion. I will answer questions as they appear.

Many Thanks

Adrian
9 REPLIES
hektorshouse
Grafter

Further to my last

I have configured the modem/router to the point where it is automatically making a successfull connection. It identifies the PPP and DNS addresses and all looks good. When I then try to go to any site the page times out and doesn't open the page.

Any ideas?
Community Veteran

Router/Modem Setup

I am not familiar with that paticular router but can you tell us how you are seeing that it has made a successful connection?
I assume that you connecting to the router using a LAN?
hektorshouse
Grafter

Router/Modem Setup

Yes, If I log into the route I can see through the logging that a successful connection has been made. This shows during the connection process the identification and fetching of the IP's for gateway, DNS and PPP all of which have not been defined in my setup. The logging is similar to this:

1/1/1970 0:0:0> Ethernet Device 0 Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Setting up vcc0, VPI=0, VCI=38
1/1/1970 0:0:0> NAPT is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:0> Client Filtering is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:14> ATM Connected
1/1/1970 0:0:14> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
1/1/1970 0:0:14> ADSL connected
1/1/1970 0:0:20> AdslAutoConfig: started.
1/1/1970 0:0:23> AdslAutoConfig: encapsulation PPPoA VC-Mux detected for Vpi=0,Vci=38.
1/1/1970 0:0:23> AdslAutoConfig: completed.
1/1/1970 0:0:23> PPP1 PPPoA Connected
1/1/1970 0:0:45> PPP CHAP Authentication success
1/1/1970 0:0:46> PPP1: PPP IP address is 212.159.78.149
1/1/1970 0:0:46> PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is 217.41.128.201
1/1/1970 0:0:46> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 212.159.11.150
1/1/1970 0:0:46> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 212.159.13.150
1/1/1970 0:0:46> NAT/NAPT Session Start: VC# 0, WAN IP is 212.159.78.149
1/1/1970 0:0:46> Initialized NAPT.
1/1/1970 0:0:46> NAPT: many-to-one default session is up.
1/1/1970 0:0:46> PPP1 Session is up.
8/11/2002 6:48:53> Received time from Time Server 128.138.140.44

To get the actual log info, I will need to pull down this connection and log in through the router and save the logs.
N/A

Router/Modem Setup

Are you able to tracert or ping any numeric IP on the internet or does the router send back an error message?
Community Veteran

Router/Modem Setup

Assuming that you are using Internet explorer have you set it so that it is using the LAN and allowed it to auto detect settings?
If not go to Conections LAN Settings and then Auto detect
If you already have done this then I am not sure what the problem is.
N/A

Router/Modem Setup

The auto-detect function does not work in this way. This is used in a simalar way to that of the netscape profiles server, where access information is stored remotly.

Auto-detection in IE can mess things more.

The information you have shown above, is from the logs of the modem. This only means that the router is connected fine, and has authenticated.

If you are using Windows XP and did not place statis IP's in the network card settings, try using the repair feature of your network card, which may get things working.

If not, you can do 1 of two things.

1: Enter the rest of the information manualy into the network card settings. The minimum details are the IP address, the DNS server IP addresses and the default gateway IP (this is the IP address of the router).

2: Enable the DHCP server on the router (if it has one). You should then issue the repair command again, which should get the details from the router auto-magicaly.

If you are using Win 98, the above also applies. However, in the place of using the repair function above, do the following.

1: Click start and goto "run".

2: Enter "winipcfg" and click OK

3: Select your network card from the list.

4: Click the "more info" item

5: Click release

6: Click renew
Community Veteran

Router/Modem Setup

The auto-detect function does not work in this way. This is used in a simalar way to that of the netscape profiles server, where access information is stored remotly.

Not sure what you mean here Phil?
Mine works exactly as I stated. In fact the instructions with the router actually say to let everything auto detect, even the IP addresses.

This is of course for my D-Link and not the one being dealt with here.
N/A

Router/Modem Setup

Auto detection for your IP address, DNS server and Gateway address, are performed using DHCP.

These details are perfomed on the network card / network interface adapter (in case of USB and PCI).

The auto-detection setting in Internet Explorer, is used to detect items like proxy settings, certificate files, hoem page, and security zone settings. These are things seperate to the network card, and more to do with software configuration than hardware.

Due to flaws in IE, it soemtimes refuses to work point blank when no data is returned by its request for this data.

Unticking this entry in the IE settings, will clear this issue.

Netscape have a simalar function in there software. You could store all your settings for netscape on a online netscape based server, and allow your copy of netscape to be cofngiured with any change you make, no matter what work station you are on.

This is much the same thing, but it more to do with the security settings, and proxy server. A quick way for network admins to keep any server changes in sync on a mass scale.
hektorshouse
Grafter

Router/Modem Setup

Finally got it working...unsure what was causing the problem but I tried all suggestions and resetting the router to factory settings and starting over. It works and seems amazingly faster than my USB connection.

Thanks for all your help Guys and Guysettes......

I maybe back tomorrow asI am placing a 4 port wireless router between my machines and this router - I was wrongly informed by a colleague the wireless router was a router modem.

Again, thanks all...

Adrian