cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Connection

deadfly
Dabbler

Router Connection

I've just upgraded to broadband but I'm not quite sure how the connection is supposed to work. I can get my modem/router to connect but only after I go into the settings and do it manually. Do I need to do this every time I switch it on, or is it supposed to connect with the ISP automatically?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Router Connection

What type of router do you have? Manufacturer/Model?

Some are like this, I don't have a clue why.

Most are set them once, get connected, then setup the rest of the network. Mine stays on all the time, and even when I lose ADSL ocassionally, the device connects back up as soon as the ADSL is available again.

If in doubt, read the manual or contact the supplier to see if there is someway of getting the settings to be stored. Some devices require a trigger mechanism to keep the connection alive, or a setting of 0 in the idle time field usually tells the device to keep the connection alive (netgear anyway)

Cheers

JM
deadfly
Dabbler

Router Connection

It's a Billion Bipac 7100 connected to a Windows XP PC via the ethernet port. I've read the user guide but it's pretty useless. I've never used broadband before so I don't know what the usual procedure is - do most people just keep the modem switched on all the time? It seems a bit of a hassle having to manually connect every time I switch it on.
deadfly
Dabbler

Router Connection

It's OK, I've finally figured it out. There's a setting called 'Connect PPP When ADSL Link Is Up' hidden away in the Misc Configuration menu.
This modem has the most un-user-friendly interface and user guide I've ever seen!