Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Advice

ratbag
Grafter

Router Advice

Hello all.
I've been using a Zoom (Conexant) PCI modem with Plusnet ADSL for a couple of years. I've decided I want to tighten-up security a bit more.

I know nothing about routers except what I've been reading today which recommends a hardware router / firewall which should include:
Network Address Translation (NAT) -- hides IP address.
Port Blocking -- or preferably stealthing
Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)

Does this sound like good advice?

Also, what does the router connect to at the computer end.. do I need some sort of network card? Any recommendations for specific makes or models from anyone who's already gone into this would be appreciated.

This is for a single pc with no networking needed.

Many thanks for any help and advice.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Router Advice

Hi there,

Routers are by far the better option. Not just for security but for performance and stability.

Most routers these days have an SPI firewall which will protect against inbound attacks.

The router will connect to your PC by a NIC (Network Interface Card) which is either on board or a PCI device.

I will always recommend Netgear products for price, quality and reliability. More info here.

In fairness, my company are Netgear Partners, though in these circumstances we gain no, financial or otherwise, reward for recommending the products.

In short, the ease of use and the possibility of increased performance and enhanced security will make your internet activity much more enjoyable.

> Ooops nearly entered sales mode there. Smiley

I should add that reliance on a hardware firewall alone is not recommended for most users. The inclusion of a software firewall like Zonealarm or Sygate is highly recommended.
ratbag
Grafter

Router Advice

Hello Mark.
Thanks a lot for the advice. If you're still there, I took a look at the link you gave and downloaded the pdf datasheets for the DG632 and DG834 and read them.

I was trying to work out the differences. I think that the DG834 is the only one of the two that has SPI. Neither mentions "stealth" though. Is that important? Is that the same as the "stealth" mode that you get from, say, GRC.com when you use his Sheilds-up test?

Many thanks.
N/A

Router Advice

Hi there,

Yes the DG834 is by far the better of the two. Your ports will be stealthed by default. Whilst no security will ever be 100% you will be a less attractive target and the unwarranted attention will hopefully (for you anyway) be directed towards someone else.
ratbag
Grafter

Router Advice

@Mark
Thanks again. My last question then is connecting it to the PC. When you say "network interface card" is that something like the FA311 PCI Network Card (10/100 Ethernet) as shown on the netgear site or something else?
Many thanks.
N/A

Router Advice

Yip, that would be perfect. Though a Realtec or "White Box" card from your local Maplins may save you a few quid. .......soz Netgear :lol:
ratbag
Grafter

Router Advice

Thanks Mark.
I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated than this, but you've helped me understand it more. I'm going to get one and be done with it.
Thanks again.
N/A

Router Advice

By using the NIC though this will ethernet networking be unavailable then? or can you network through the router?
N/A

Router Advice

Hi Kyle,

I am not sure what you are getting at. You wouldnt have much choice other than to network through the NIC, this is an ethernet port, and yes you should be networking through the Router.

Unless you are using a usb - ethernet converter.

If I have gotten the wrong end of the stick let me know.

If you want to reply to your original thread, that way we'll keep all the answers together.
ratbag
Grafter

Router Advice

@mark
while searching for the Netgear 834 it became clear that there is an original version and a mk2. Not many companies mention mk2. Some have a picture of a "rounded" unit and some a squarer/whiter (presumably newer) unit. Some mention a vertical stand in the specs (I want that) and some don't.

Can you give me a rough guide as to how long the mk2 has been out? If it's very recent then I'll have to contact them first and ask which version they are selling.
Many thanks once again.