cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously sloooooow !!

N/A

Ridiculously sloooooow !!

I am currently experiencing a dreadful speed at somewhat 7 kbps download rate. Yes, it is not my tying error; is it at 7 kbps.

Is anyone in the Waltham Abbey area having the same problem?
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

I am sorry to be a pain. It seems back to normal right after sending the message.

> I am currently experiencing a dreadful speed at somewhat 7 kbps download rate. Yes, it is not my tying error; is it at 7 kbps.
>
> Is anyone in the Waltham Abbey area having the same problem?

N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

> I am currently experiencing a dreadful speed at somewhat 7 kbps download rate. Yes, it is not my tying error; is it at 7 kbps.
>
> Is anyone in the Waltham Abbey area having the same problem?


Well i'm in kent and according to plusnets own speed indicator i'm downloading at 77.5.

So much for high speed broadband.

Yes my MTU is set correctly
Yes my RWIN is set correctly
No I have not suffered these speed drops before
No point in raising a "ticket" cos it takes plusnet over two days before they even read it.

Come on plusnet read your own forum and act on it.

--
Reset
N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Yah, there may be truth. But I still want to know what has happened, was it PlusNet or my local exchange to blame.

> > I am currently experiencing a dreadful speed at somewhat 7 kbps download rate. Yes, it is not my tying error; is it at 7 kbps.
> >
> > Is anyone in the Waltham Abbey area having the same problem?
>
>
> Well i'm in kent and according to plusnets own speed indicator i'm downloading at 77.5.
>
> So much for high speed broadband.
>
> Yes my MTU is set correctly
> Yes my RWIN is set correctly
> No I have not suffered these speed drops before
> No point in raising a "ticket" cos it takes plusnet over two days before they even read it.
>
> Come on plusnet read your own forum and act on it.
>
>
> --
> Reset

fonejacker
Grafter
Posts: 382
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

> Well i'm in kent and according to plusnets own speed indicator i'm downloading at 77.5.
>

Hi Reset,

I hope you will find the ticket situation a lot better now than in the past - I would certainly not expect a response to take more than 12 hours at any point.

Anyway, I think it might be worthwhile looking into any speed problems you are having more throughly. Since the network upgrade last Thursday the DSL platform has not been under any sort of load (We have designed the network to cope with a pretty heavy growth rate over the coming months).

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about the problem here:

1. Is it consistantly slow, or just for a short period today?
2. Have you tried different hardware, without splitters etc?
3. Have you done traceroutes to sites you are finding slow?
4. Does everything seem sluggish (Email etc) as well as web browsing?

You clearly want to work with us to get this fixed, so lets see if we can't get to the bottom of your problem with a good old bit of community support (As you know, the Communcations guys don't monitor this forum on a regular basis). While I would always suggest that you to raise any problems like this as a ticket, we will certainly offer any advice we can by this medium!

> Come on plusnet read your own forum and act on it.

We have going on for 20,000 ADSL users; when there is a generic speed problem we do know about it. Where there are problems at specific exchanges or in odd parts of the network it can make it very difficult to diagnose, and we do need as much info as possible on a ticket to allow us to log and manage this with BT.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Hi there. I'm in Manchester and things are OK here. 60K down, 30.1K up. Perhaps it's a regional thing ? Hope this is of some help.
Regards, John Taylor.

N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Could be. I'm also in Kent and suffered the same speed drop this morning, then at lunchtime lost my ADSL completely and still don't have it back. It's been ticketed and is presumably being investigated now.

N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Oh would you belive it, I just posted that and it kicked back in! What is going on in Kent today??

N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Hi Ian

I am the person who first started the stir.

I must admit that I am happy with your service ever since I joined PlusNet few months back, I have had no major issue, apart from a few occasions where I experirenced speed dropping, but they were brief and not so severe.

However, the today's one lasted for almost 40 minutes and got me worried. Therefore I decided to make a fuss of it.

I believe my local exchange is Waltham Cross and don't know if you can track the problem.

Regards

Chi

> > Well i'm in kent and according to plusnets own speed indicator i'm downloading at 77.5.
> >
>
> Hi Reset,
>
> I hope you will find the ticket situation a lot better now than in the past - I would certainly not expect a response to take more than 12 hours at any point.
>
> Anyway, I think it might be worthwhile looking into any speed problems you are having more throughly. Since the network upgrade last Thursday the DSL platform has not been under any sort of load (We have designed the network to cope with a pretty heavy growth rate over the coming months).
>
> Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about the problem here:
>
> 1. Is it consistantly slow, or just for a short period today?
> 2. Have you tried different hardware, without splitters etc?
> 3. Have you done traceroutes to sites you are finding slow?
> 4. Does everything seem sluggish (Email etc) as well as web browsing?
>
> You clearly want to work with us to get this fixed, so lets see if we can't get to the bottom of your problem with a good old bit of community support (As you know, the Communcations guys don't monitor this forum on a regular basis). While I would always suggest that you to raise any problems like this as a ticket, we will certainly offer any advice we can by this medium!
>
> > Come on plusnet read your own forum and act on it.
>
> We have going on for 20,000 ADSL users; when there is a generic speed problem we do know about it. Where there are problems at specific exchanges or in odd parts of the network it can make it very difficult to diagnose, and we do need as much info as possible on a ticket to allow us to log and manage this with BT.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

> Hi Ian
>
> I am the person who first started the stir.
>
> I must admit that I am happy with your service ever since I joined PlusNet few months back, I have had no major issue, apart from a few occasions where I experirenced speed dropping, but they were brief and not so severe.
>
> However, the today's one lasted for almost 40 minutes and got me worried. Therefore I decided to make a fuss of it.
>
> I believe my local exchange is Waltham Cross and don't know if you can track the problem.
>
> Regards
>
> Chi
>
> > > Well i'm in kent and according to plusnets own speed indicator i'm downloading at 77.5.
> > >
> >
> > Hi Reset,
> >
> > I hope you will find the ticket situation a lot better now than in the past - I would certainly not expect a response to take more than 12 hours at any point.
> >
> > Anyway, I think it might be worthwhile looking into any speed problems you are having more throughly. Since the network upgrade last Thursday the DSL platform has not been under any sort of load (We have designed the network to cope with a pretty heavy growth rate over the coming months).
> >
> > Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about the problem here:
> >
> > 1. Is it consistantly slow, or just for a short period today?
> > 2. Have you tried different hardware, without splitters etc?
> > 3. Have you done traceroutes to sites you are finding slow?
> > 4. Does everything seem sluggish (Email etc) as well as web browsing?
> >
> > You clearly want to work with us to get this fixed, so lets see if we can't get to the bottom of your problem with a good old bit of community support (As you know, the Communcations guys don't monitor this forum on a regular basis). While I would always suggest that you to raise any problems like this as a ticket, we will certainly offer any advice we can by this medium!
> >
> > > Come on plusnet read your own forum and act on it.
> >
> > We have going on for 20,000 ADSL users; when there is a generic speed problem we do know about it. Where there are problems at specific exchanges or in odd parts of the network it can make it very difficult to diagnose, and we do need as much info as possible on a ticket to allow us to log and manage this with BT.
> >
> > With Regards,
> >
> > Ian Wild
> > PlusNet Customer Support
>
>

I'm in the Cardiff area and the service has fluctuated a fair bit this evening - when it kicks in its hunky dory, but at times its slowed right down. Hopefully if will iron itself out later.
fonejacker
Grafter
Posts: 382
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Thanks Everyone.

I will keep my eye on this, but it is the case that if it is a problem with our links then it is likely to effect everyone (Or at the very least 1 in 3 people due to the way we connect to BT's network).

As I said before, the overall bandwidth is looking pretty healthy, with over 400MB/s being passed over our ADSL platform at this very moment. We have 4 x 155MB pipes so the service is practically idling!

If you get more speed problems, the important thing is to look out for a pattern. We are happy to report individual issues like this to BT if they are consistent. Of course, it should always be remembered that ADSL is a contented product, however at the moment there are very few, if any, exchanges running under a load which causes the contention to kick in.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: Ridiculously sloooooow !!

Thanks for the reply Ian.

The drastic slow down lasted for around 1.5 hours and then returned to normal. All downloads were affected including e-mail, and browsing.

Back to normal now, so my apologies if I jumped the gun on this one.
--
Reset