cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reported Speed vs. Sync speed

brancusi

Hi

The broadband speed check page in the member centre here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed reports me as having a connection speed of 8000kbps but my router actually only syncs at 2304kbps (I have a spare router which syncs at exactly the same speed). However, many service provider websites report I should be able to achieve speeds of over 3000kbps and other people who live in the same building have speeds of up to 4000kbps.

Other resources I have used suggest that for my distance from the exchange and attenuation a 3000kbps connection should be possible, maybe even higher.

My router is connected to the main socket (there aren't any others) which was only put in about 5 years ago.

Any thoughts on why I get such a poor connection speed and anything which can be done to improve it.

Thanks
14 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Because you are on our Tiscali LLU service, your reported speed in that link will show 8000Kbps. It does this for all Tiscali connections.

Bear in mind that those website are showing you an estimation of what speeds you will be able to achieve. They may well not be correct. Try using an alternate filter and plugging into the test socket behind the master faceplate to see if your sync speeds increase at all, they may do.
brancusi

OK, new filter is connected. Not seeing any changes yet but will give it a few days. My BT point does not have a test socket behind the faceplate. Must be because the builders developers fitted a nice chrome faceplate to match all the plug sockets and light switches.
Community Veteran

I would suggest then that you have not yet found the master socket - which should be connected to the 2 wires where they enter the building, or you don't actually have a master socket. The builders are actually not allowed to remove a master socket if fitted.

The master socket should have a lower removalble panel behind which is the test socket. Have a look at all your other sockets and try to determine where the phone line enters the building.

It should look like this:
brancusi

Looks like the builders were cowboys then! I only have the one socket and in the meter room for the building where the BT intake is, there is only a BT DP and nothing else. If I had a normal master socket I would have replaced it with one of those with a built in splitter long ago.
brancusi

A few days on the new filter and the connection is still a steadfast interleaved 2306kbps down and 256kbps up. Any other ideas for anything which can be done to improve the connection speeds?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

I've requested a different LLU line profile for you, can you try rebooting your modem/router and see if the speeds improve?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
brancusi

Router rebooted and it now syncs at 1728kpbs up and 544kbps down. I'll give it a few days to see if this changes at all.
brancusi

Been running on the new profile for a few days now but never seen a sync speed over 1920kbps, but the average is more like 1700kbps, both less than the 2306kbps I started with. Are there any other profiles or tweaks which can be tried?
brancusi

Me again

Just had a brainwave and remembered some time ago I had to hardcode my router (a Linksys WAG354G v2) to use G.lite as it was the only way it would sync with the DSLAM. I've tried setting it to G.DMT and get the following:

Interleaved
Speed - down:2080 kbps up:576 kbps
attenuation - down:52 db up:27 db
margin - down:11 db up:12db

If I set the router to multimode (I think this means auto detect the modulation) I get this:

Interleaved
Speed - down:2231 kbps up:502 kbps
attenuation - down:53 db up:30 db
margin - down:12 db up:12db

So, while I see how this settles down over a few days can anyone suggest whether interleaved or fast path is better?
brancusi

What the heck is going onHuh I am now getting sync speeds of 1251 or lower (955 yesterday) and very unreliable connections which keep dropping out every 5 mins.

Can anyone help. I guess I'm now looking at raising a fault to get it put back to normal operation?
Community Veteran

can you post the full stats.

Has the weather changed today from yesterday - i.e. raining, sun etc as this can affect the line.

Do you hear any crackling noise when making normal phone calls. Pick up the phone and dial 1 which should stop the dialtone and see if you hear any noises/crackling. If so then you need to report a voice fault to BT via 151 but DO NOT mention broadband, just the line noise as BT Retail have no responsibility with ADSL. Noise or crackling can effect ADSL sync speeds and make lines intermttent

Are you losing sync?

Leave the router/modem off for 30 minutes or ideally 1 hour and try again. This can sometimes fix frequent disconnect issues as it causes the link to the exchange to be fully reset.

Before raising a fault you have to eliminate your own internal wiring as the cause so try with all other phones disconnected.
Highlighted
brancusi

No changes to the weather and I've tried all of these over the last couple of days including different filters and a different router. I have no alternative but to raise a fault.
akaneria
Grafter

i am getting a very similar problem aswell for the past year and half i have been getting constant speeds of about 750kb/s, but all of a sudden sometime this week my modem router is syncing only at 2.2 meg and when i try to download i only get about 200kb/s, plus net have told me the line can handle 750kbps and i have had these sorts of speeds for a long time now!
please advise
Liam
Grafter

Hi akanaria,

I've replied to your post here : http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57581