cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing modem with ADSL router

kenjay

Hi
I have experienced trouble with line stability for well over the 10 days. Today my connection seems stable (been on fo rover 4 hours now). My sync speed is 3.3 Mbps on an USB Modem. I have been told that my installation would benefit from using an ADSL router and ethernet or wireless to connect nearer tothe extension point. If i do this will my synchronising speed increase or am is stuck at 3.3 Mbps?
6 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know if how far you are from the main extention point is relevant. I have a 12m cable running from my modem/router to the main extention point in my house and i synch at 7000Kbps+ all the time.

I think what's more relevant is how far away you are from your exchange. The further away you the more chance you have of lower synch speeds.
Alecto
Grafter

Problem is you don't know if your sync speed will increase with a router unless you try one. And some routers are more sensitive than others.

I had a Safecom router and changed it for a Netgear DG834, and my sync speed went up from 4000 to 6000. I haven't tried a modem though, so I don't know how it compares. Best way is to borrow one if you can.and try it.

There are other advantages to a router too - it's more secure, and you can connect several computers to it.
lingbob
Grafter

I've tried a BT Voyager 105 USB modem and a Netgear DG834 router and the Netgear wins hands down. The USB modem was very sensitive to SNR and would re-sync at 4dB SNR whilst the Netgear router will allow the SNR to drop to 0dB before re-sync'ing. In other words, the Netgear router very rarely re-sync's whilst the USB modem would re-sync numerous times a day and therefore, the sync speed was up and down like a yo-yo with the USB modem whilst the sync speed is constant for days on end with the Netgear router. Cheese and chalk springs to mind :lol:

--
Martin
N/A

Interesting – I have exactly the same problem as Kendor, using a Conexant PCI modem, together with multiple disconnects which sometimes froze my PC ( on XP) requiring a mains power down. My Max upgrade was completed on 18th April. I was recommended to upgrade to the Netgear DG834 ( as mentioned by Geoff Pattison) but was slightly concerned to read comments’ on the web, that pages didn’t always completely arrive and needed to be refreshed. I have been lent a Safecom 5 port combo to trial before I decide. Stability has improved a lot and I am connecting at between 4.9Mbs and 5.5Mbs with fairly infrequent disconnects and no freezes. However, I’m getting the same problem as mentioned for the Netgear i.e. occasional incomplete web pages that need to be refreshed. How do you rate the DG834 Geoff, apart from your improved synch speeds?
Alecto
Grafter

How do you rate the DG834 Geoff, apart from your improved synch speeds?

I was initially pleased with the Safecom as it set itself up and was very cheap, easy to use, and never dropped the connection.
The Netgear is over twice the price and does exactly the same job, but with a higher sync speed - it keeps the connection when the SNR drops (supposedly) negative.
It didn't need any setting up - I just turned it on, put my logon and password in, and it's there.
Port forwarding is straightforward - as the Safecom, but MUCH easier than the Solwise I had before that.
Firewall is set automatically, and it gets "stealthed" on the Shields Up test without my having to do anything.
On the downside, it doesn't support multicast, but since Pn have ditched that for now, it's not a problem.

I'd say it's a good router - had it about a week so far - and would be happy to get it again. If my SNR was amazingly hight to start with, I'd be happy to continue with the Safecom though.
N/A

gpattison wrote re Netgear DG834:

I'd say it's a good router - had it about a week so far - and would be happy to get it again. If my SNR was amazingly high to start with, I'd be happy to continue with the Safecom though.]

Thanks for that Geoff. I think I'll try the DG834 as my SNR varies from poor to very bad despite BT having apparently reset it.