cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating Wireless signal

N/A

My broadband wireless router is too far away from my laptop/workstation to get a contineous signal. Does anyone know how I could repeat or boost the signal from my netgear router?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you looked at the netgear site?

You can buy boosters and larger antenna's

Aaron
wandelaar
Grafter

If you do use repeaters / higher gain antennas make sure you have encryption enabled as you may end up 'sharing' your wireless connection unwittingly..

As part of my network I have a wireless access point and had a request from a supplier of radio broadband within the area to change channels as apparently I was swamping most of the village where I live and loads of their users could see my WAP.

I was not worried as I use 128bit encryption, but changed channels to save them a real headache..

I could have had up to 40 users accessing the internet through me for free though!!

No I am not using a booster, no I dont have a high gain aerial on the WAP. It is bog standard 'out of the box'.

I am located overlooking most of the village and as a radio ham understand about coverage areas etc.. I have done some tests and can see my WAP from up to nearly 1000m away!!

The WAP is made by Belkin..

Hope this helps..

Dave
N/A

I have a Netgear DG834g wireless router and use a D-Link DWL-900AP access point in repeater mode.

The D-Link it situated in the top/middle of the house and repeats everything from the Netgear.

I used to have 10% signal at the front of my house (Netgear located at rear) and now I get 80-90%

I also have everything encrypted.

The D-Link DWL-900AP can be purchased on ebay for about £20.
N/A

This will cost nothing to try. Make a cone out of kitchen foil, shape it round the router antenna and point at the receiver. If you can stop laughing for long enough, that is.
wandelaar
Grafter

LOL!!!

Nice One!!

Dave
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Wireless Routers