cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed my ring wire

N/A

Removed my ring wire

Wow!

I read a few posts on these forums talking about people with connection problems and unreliable maxdsl removing their ringwire at the master socket to improve their SNR, i have to be honest I thought the improvment would be minimal and not worth it for me (I used to sync at around 3.5/4mbit).

Well... I got bored on saturday and disconnected it.

My connection is now syncing at 5.5/6mbit.Not a bad improvement at all!
Just have to wait another couple of days for my max stable rate to increase above the 3000 it's currently at.

I'd recommend it if you're looking for that extra bit of download speed Smiley
22 REPLIES
N/A

Removed my ring wire

You can do this without cutting the wire if you undo the 2 screws at the front of the BT master socket and plug your modem/router into the test socket your extentions wont work if they are wired in to the box but you dont have to cut any wires.

If it does the trick then you can cut the wire knowing its ok. If you cut the wire you need a tool to put it back so this is a safer way of doing it.

I tried it but it increased the speed from 4 meg to 7 but I left it for 5 hours and it wouldnt hold for more than a few seconds the speed was slowly droping so maybe you need to leave it for a day for it to find the new speed.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

heh i tried removing any ring wire, i dont know if its because my cable comming into the house is just 2 thick copper wires (dont modern lines use twisted pairs?) but i tried blanking out the ring pins on my connectors, even in the test socket and i got no improvement at all, not even 1dB Sad I have no wires to unhook so that was my only way of making sure
N/A

Removed my ring wire

I have no ring wire.
Don't know if this is normal now, but 4 years ago I converted to ISDN becasue my dialup speed was so bad. At that time the BT engineer fitted a new Home Highway box close to my computer and turned the old master socket into an extention. When I moved to bb the ISDN box was swapped for a NES.

At the weekend I tried plugging into the test socket (made no differebde) but I saw that I only have 2 wires connected to the customer side of the NES for the extension.

As the ring wire is no longer used on modern phones, maybe a BT install doesn't include a ring wire now?.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

You will only have to wires coming in the house going to the Master socket. The master socket has the components that filter/direct the ringing to a third wire. If you cut/remove the ring wire at the master socket then none of the extension phones will ring, only the phone plugged into the master will ring.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

You will only have to wires coming in the house going to the Master socket. The master socket has the components that filter/direct the ringing to a third wire. If you cut/remove the ring wire at the master socket then none of the extension phones will ring, only the phone plugged into the master will ring.

not what i read.. i read that microfilters actually sort the ring out themselves due to having their own capacitors inside so the ring wire isnt really needed.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

Did not realise this. Have to do some more research on this to see how they stop feedback from one phone to another.

In the old days the ringing components were in each phone when extensions were put in then each phone had to be dismantled and the internal wiring modified to remove each individual ringing circuit. If not when you dialled out you could here this on the other extensions. So BT had a bright :idea: idea to put the ringing components into the master socket. Making the installation of extensions straight forward.

Just had a thought, this was only a problem if using loop disconnect for dialling. Don't suppose anyone use this today as DTMF is the norm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Removed my ring wire

Having read this I decided to try the master socket as suggested and my synch rate increased from 2368 to 3392 at an snr of 12 with interleaving enabled.
While fiddling one of the wires broke off (line signal B) and fortunately its quite easy to replace into the edge connectors using a pocket knife - this didn't affect the result so I disconnected the ring wire as suggested - SUCCESS - Now synchronising at 3392 and all phones work correctly including ringing properly
Will now monitor the results for a few days then, if successful, try to get the 10 day test period restarted
keithcalder
Grafter

Removed my ring wire

I have had a look at my master socket , which the BT engineers have put in my front lobby cupboard!! I have two extension sockets in my house, one in my living room, one in my bedroom.

Would I be correct in assuming that I cannot remove the ring wire on this set-up?

Keith
N/A

Removed my ring wire

Would I be correct in assuming that I cannot remove the ring wire on this set-up?

No reason why not, I have a similar setup and removed the ring wire from terminal three on all the sockets and got a 12db increase in SNR.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

Keith, would just mean that if you had a phone plugged into one of the extended sockets that the ring would not be passed onto it. The phone would otherwise work fine. If you have no telephone plugged into your extension sockets, then you'll notice no difference.
N/A

Removed my ring wire

As I said before remove the front plate and try the modem into the test socket and see if it improves.

for more details

http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html

The front plate should have the connection on the back for your extentions
N/A

Removed my ring wire

I too removed the ring wire from my master socket at the weekend and at first thought there was no improvement ie snr still around 15db. But then I noticed my sync speed had almost doubled from 1800 to 4300.

Whats more the CRC errors have dropped to almost zero and the connection is now totally stable (I used to have several disconnects ber day). All my extension phones ring as usual (via the microfilters) so no looking back for me! Cheesy

Now just waiting for my speeds to increase. I was at 500kbs on Saturday and it stepped up to 1Mb on Sunday. Now hoping I'll be back, if not beyond, where I started before being Maxed!
essenby
Grafter

Removed my ring wire

A quick query on this topic if anyone can help please?

My installation runs an (unfiltered) extension from the main socket which them splits into 2 sockets, both with micofilters, one with a voice connection and the other with ASDL connection. My ADSL connection works beautifully with a Speedtouch silver frog USB modem, but my brand spanking new Linksys WAG54GS can't see the ADSL connection at all - just reports it as being "down" all the time. This behaviour occurs even with the router plugged directly into the main socket.

My question is - do I disconnect the ring wire at the main socket, the ADSL extension, or at all 3 sockets?
N/A

Removed my ring wire

I would suggest that the Linksys router is faulty and should be returned.