cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry Error on Win 98

N/A

Registry Error on Win 98

I have just installed the Dynamode USB ADSL modem and made the connection with Plusnet. After the installation finished, it asked me to restart the machine, which I did, and now when it restarts it comes up with Registry errors. The Registry errors window provides the option to repair the system, but that does not cure the problem. What has happened? Anyone else have a this problem before?

I am running Windows 98

Where can I find out more about this problem.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Registry Error on Win 98

> I have just installed the Dynamode USB ADSL modem and made the connection with Plusnet. After the installation finished, it asked me to restart the machine, which I did, and now when it restarts it comes up with Registry errors. The Registry errors window provides the option to repair the system, but that does not cure the problem. What has happened? Anyone else have a this problem before?
>
> I am running Windows 98
>
> Where can I find out more about this problem.

Hi there,

Windows can develop registry errors from time to time and their resolution can be difficult. It's unfortunate that the installation of your new hardware has precipitated this particular error in your case but it's not something we've had reported as an error specific to our modem and I recommend you consult a windows expert for advice.

Best wishes,

Matt.

--
| Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+

Community Veteran

> > I have just installed the Dynamode USB ADSL modem and made the connection with Plusnet. After the installation finished, it asked me to restart the machine, which I did, and now when it restarts it comes up with Registry errors. The Registry errors window provides the option to repair the system, but that does not cure the problem. What has happened? Anyone else have a this problem before?
> >
> > I am running Windows 98
> >
> > Where can I find out more about this problem.
>
> Hi there,
>
> Windows can develop registry errors from time to time and their resolution can be difficult. It's unfortunate that the installation of your new hardware has precipitated this particular error in your case but it's not something we've had reported as an error specific to our modem and I recommend you consult a windows expert for advice.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Matt.
>
> --
> | Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+
>
>
>

If you have the original windows instalation CD then I would suggest that you instal windows again over the existing installation.
This will often but right damaged files and you will not lose any of your settings etc.
When you start the install it will detect that an installation already exists and ask you if you want to install in another directory.
The default is normaly c:\windows so if yours is normal select that and it will re insert all the windows files.
If it does not cure it then you have lost nothing and I can only suggest that you then try and uninstall the modem.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Hi Bharat

I think this is your guy bill@microsoft.com Wink

When you run windoze setup you have the option to repair installation. I never found it useful yet. I always ended up in a re-install from scratch Sad

Kind regards
Lyndon

> > > I have just installed the Dynamode USB ADSL modem and made the connection with Plusnet. After the installation finished, it asked me to restart the machine, which I did, and now when it restarts it comes up with Registry errors. The Registry errors window provides the option to repair the system, but that does not cure the problem. What has happened? Anyone else have a this problem before?
> > >
> > > I am running Windows 98
> > >
> > > Where can I find out more about this problem.
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Windows can develop registry errors from time to time and their resolution can be difficult. It's unfortunate that the installation of your new hardware has precipitated this particular error in your case but it's not something we've had reported as an error specific to our modem and I recommend you consult a windows expert for advice.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Matt.
> >
> > --
> > | Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> > | Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
> > | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
> > + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+
> >
> >
> >
>
> If you have the original windows instalation CD then I would suggest that you instal windows again over the existing installation.
> This will often but right damaged files and you will not lose any of your settings etc.
> When you start the install it will detect that an installation already exists and ask you if you want to install in another directory.
> The default is normaly c:\windows so if yours is normal select that and it will re insert all the windows files.
> If it does not cure it then you have lost nothing and I can only suggest that you then try and uninstall the modem.
>
>
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk

N/A

I am running Windows 98
>
> Where can I find out more about this problem.

Hi,

Primarily I would run system file checker on your PC by openening a run command and typing sfc.

You can then update all damged and repaired files that are identified on your system.

Alternatively, I would uninstall the USB modem and re-install the hardware again.

As a last option If the re-install of the modem still fails I would be formatting my hard drive and carrying out a clean install of Win 98 and re-installing the modem afterwards.

Youm may also need to consult google for assistance also.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> I am running Windows 98
> >
> > Where can I find out more about this problem.
>
> Hi,
>
> Primarily I would run system file checker on your PC by openening a run command and typing sfc.
>
> You can then update all damged and repaired files that are identified on your system.
>
> Alternatively, I would uninstall the USB modem and re-install the hardware again.
>

Tried that, but it did not resolve the problem. Someone else in Support said ...
Dear Customer, it may be that the drivers are corrupt. Please download the latest drivers from our website.
Sorry to be ignorant, but where does one find the download option?
Bharat

N/A

> > I am running Windows 98
> > >
> > > Where can I find out more about this problem.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Primarily I would run system file checker on your PC by openening a run command and typing sfc.
> >
> > You can then update all damged and repaired files that are identified on your system.
> >
> > Alternatively, I would uninstall the USB modem and re-install the hardware again.
> >
>
> Tried that, but it did not resolve the problem. Someone else in Support said ...
> Dear Customer, it may be that the drivers are corrupt. Please download the latest drivers from our website.
> Sorry to be ignorant, but where does one find the download option?
> Bharat
>
>

Please ignore last post... found it under ADSL guides... Its late in the night.