cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding people whining about fair usage...

N/A

Ok first don't get me wrong, I'm not happy either but everything i've read on this forum I seldom visit seems to be nothing more than whines about speed. Again, i'm not happy either, because it means changing the way you obtain what you want.

My usage is 70.52GB so far, which is not as much as it has been before, but it is just a matter of being patient. Until the UK massively improves it's data bandwidth capacity you are not going to see any improvement from ANY isp, and as faster speeds come out, and more people are getting on the inet then it is just going to get worse until the capacity is improved. Some isps might have genuinely 'unlimited' transfer *now* but you can bet they won't for probably much longer, or the speeds would just be bad most of the time.

Once again, it annoys me too... I remember when BB was completely unlimited, it was great and i'd love for it to be like that again. The thing is, know who to point the finger at because most isps are just trying to give their customers a better experience with the slowly overloading uk infrastructure.
5 REPLIES
N/A

na, they are trying to make the most proffit they can, simple biz modle. and it works. they get ridd of the expensive high end users. leaving those that use 1 -2 gig a month. its just how to make the most proffit
N/A

Hi, the problem is cozmosis, that they've hit users such as myself with little or no warning. Also the peak time is too long, 8:00 tp midnight is just rediculous. My own usage has always been between 5-10gbs but because it exceeeds peak usage I'm now throttled back to 500kbps. Perhaps it would have been better from PN's part to send out a e-mail about when this was going to start, clarifying the terms and conditionsand giving up fair notice. Not only that but to warn somebody first that they were exceeding the limits sent, not just punish them immediately. I'm not about to change tha way I use the internet, 500kbps or not, it's thay way I've been using it for years and a service I believe I have paid for...
Lyn
keithcalder
Grafter

Here's an idea which would sort this out. How about Plusnet offering an "Unlimited" data transfer amount for a higher monthly charge. I'm on 1MB and would gladly pay a higher charge for a no capped service like the one offered by Zen.
Grff
Grafter

Also the peak time is too long, 8:00 tp midnight is just rediculous.

Indeed it is. I always thought peak time was peak time no matter what package you were on. Only after selecting a few drop down lists and changing the info on the page did I realise the Plus package was 8-midnight.

So really anyone on a plus package can only use there connection at peak times :lol:
N/A

How about they simply just get their own facts straight? Legally speaking they are out on a limb as if you read their traffic management page (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml) it contradicts itself in several areas. This is both misleading and leaves them open to prosecution from Trading Standards.

On the 2mb Premier details there are 2 clear errors.

Firstly:

What does this mean to me?
The Sustainable Usage Policy allows each Broadband Premier customer to use up to 100GB each month at any time OR up to 30GB during peak hours (16:00-00:00 when the network is at its busiest). This is more than enough for most customers as the current average for all customers on Broadband Premier is 11GB a month.

And then further down the same page:

Usenet, Peer-2-Peer and FTP Usage
Applications such as peer-to-peer file-sharing, Usenet and FTP, can take up significant capacity on our network when used for long periods and in peak hours. For this reason we manage the usage of these applications and recommend that you schedule any large downloads for off-peak hours (00:00-08:00).
To reward light and moderate usage of these applications, each Broadband Premier up to 2Mb customer gets up to 20GB of clean peer-to-peer, USENET and FTP usage each month before any management is applied.

As you can see, the first paragraph says that I can download 30gb during peak time and that peak time is 1600 - 0000hrs, yet further down the page it says I can download 20gb and in somewhat unclear terms that peak is 0800 - 0000hrs.

I too have recommended PN to many people, all of which are asking me what is going on.

PlusNet should:

1. Correct the errors in their terms etc.

2. Listen to their customers as if I go, I would think all my recommendations would too. And I'll bet there are a lot more people out there is the same position. I don't want something for nothing, but I do want easy to understand.

They have implemente all this stuff, but why have hey not updated their own monitoring software to correctly show what bandwidth we are using?

I would be happier to get billed for any overuse, or buy credits in advance.