cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing Line Loss

N/A

Reducing Line Loss

I was hoping to upgrade to either a 1 or 2 Meg connection, so I had a woosh test done (results are below). As the line loss is too much Support suggested that BT might be able to improve the quality of the line. Has anybody got any idea how I should go about getting BT to try to improve the line quality?

Thanks

Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss
28 dB
Cell Count

Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss
52 dB
Cell Count
4 REPLIES
N/A

Reducing Line Loss

The only things that can be done on your own part are things like the following, which do not allways work.

1: Make sure your own wiring a filter setup is OK. The more devices on your line, the more loss you will see.

2: Check for hiss on the line. Unplug all device and plug a single phone into the master socket. Dial "1" on the phone and listen to quietness.

If you hear a buzz or hiss, you may want to report a fault to BT, stating a hiss or buzz on the line, with all devices unpluged. I advise you to raise this fault using the BT website. You can usualy make sure you get your point accross in the text box, unlike some rather forgetful BT fault team members.

This test should not be done with a cordless.

These are the only two things you can do. BT are not contracted by you to supply ADSL, there lines are only stated for the use of voice comms.

They have no contractual obligation to do any work to improve your line, unless your speeds are shown to be inconsistant with that of the product you are supposed to currently have.
keithcalder
Grafter

Reducing Line Loss

I had a loop loss of 48.1 according to woosh by Plusnet but I've read that Bt have a large margin on this. Some info I have read states that a faster connection may be possible on lines with a loss haigher than the limit BT have given. Unfortunately the only way to try this is to pay the regrade fee and have the line upgraded. I have spoken to Plusnet about this and they have said I can force the connection speed upgrade but should I have problems, (i.e. not getting full speed, connection drops etc), I would have no quibbles and could not complain about a crap connection, which is fair enough.

What you have to consider then is if you are willing totake the chance and force the upgrade and should itfail, then your £65 down. Alternatively, we can wait and hope that technology takes a leap and we can all enjoy yet faster speeds. Hope this helps. Smiley

Keith
N/A

Reducing Line Loss

Until today I had what I thought was a really poor line. I could hardly get synch even with no ADSL filter in place nor telephone - it was that bad.

The problem turned out to be a small box in the airing cupboard which contained an (RF) filter. This box had been in the airing cupboard for years and(the capacitor) had aged. The BT engineer simply replaced it and my signal to noise margin increased by a factor of 10 (!) and the loop attenuation halved.

This box was between the main BT socket and the incoming telephone line.
N/A

Reducing Line Loss

Unfortunately the only way to try this is to pay the regrade fee and have the line upgraded. I have spoken to Plusnet about this and they have said I can force the connection speed upgrade but should I have problems, (i.e. not getting full speed, connection drops etc), I would have no quibbles and could not complain about a crap connection, which is fair enough.

Can someone confirm this please? I always thought BT would not upgrade the line if it was above the set limits?

cheers.