cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring Downloads... or not?

N/A

Recurring Downloads... or not?

I finally gave BT the boot a week or 2 ago and am waiting for my PlusNet ADSL connection to be activated. In the meantime, I am using the local call rate PlusNet dial up service - HOWEVER, I notice that I can no longer download files (using a download utility such as GetRight or NetVampire) from servers that support recurring downloads (where, if a connection is lost, they don't start back from scratch again). I had no problems with this using my old BT dial up service - why the changeHuh Do Plus Net not support this (extremely useful) feature? If not, I would be very diappointed..... or do I simply not need to worry once ADSL is up & running?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Recurring Downloads... or not?

I am using the dial up whilst waiting for ADSL and I've had no problems. I am using DAP 5 (Download Accelerator Plus) which has the 'resume' functionality that you are talking about. You can download it from www.speedbit.com
N/A

Thanks Ash

I had been using NetVampire without problems for years before, so am a little baffled - I wonder whether there is a setting (either in Internet explorer, or dial-up networking configuration) that affects or "turns this off" somehow...?

I am using the dial up whilst waiting for ADSL and I've had no problems. I am using DAP 5 (Download Accelerator Plus) which has the 'resume' functionality that you are talking about. You can download it from www.speedbit.com

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> Thanks Ash
>
> I had been using NetVampire without problems for years before, so am a little baffled - I wonder whether there is a setting (either in Internet explorer, or dial-up networking configuration) that affects or "turns this off" somehow...?
>
>
>
> I am using the dial up whilst waiting for ADSL and I've had no problems. I am using DAP 5 (Download Accelerator Plus) which has the 'resume' functionality that you are talking about. You can download it from www.speedbit.com
>
>

I had that as well on the 0808 with plusnet but had it with some other ISP's as well, only one I didnt was V21 *spit*

--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Latest is that there DOES appear to be a problem with resumed downloads - Mike Grice from Customer Support posted this in the feedback forum :

I've tried to look into this for you, it seems that our cache engines interfere with external resuming of downloads. This only affects HTTP traffic (port 80) though, so if a place offers FTP and HTTP downloads of a file, go with the FTP. Also note that you'll rarely have to resume a download when you're on ADSL due to the speed of it ...

Regards,
Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions

Looks like I'll have to wait for the ADSL and hope that resuming downloads will no longer be an issue...

> > Thanks Ash
> >
> > I had been using NetVampire without problems for years before, so am a little baffled - I wonder whether there is a setting (either in Internet explorer, or dial-up networking configuration) that affects or "turns this off" somehow...?
> >
> >
> >
> > I am using the dial up whilst waiting for ADSL and I've had no problems. I am using DAP 5 (Download Accelerator Plus) which has the 'resume' functionality that you are talking about. You can download it from www.speedbit.com
> >
> >
>
> I had that as well on the 0808 with plusnet but had it with some other ISP's as well, only one I didnt was V21 *spit*
>
>
> --
> ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
> IRC.UTCHAT.COM
> @ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp