cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Speeds have Fallen??

N/A

Hi,

I am a new customer to plusnet after a reccomendation from a friend. The service was working great with 5.8Mbps on Speed Tests and 400-600kbps downloads. Smiley

Recently however my speeds have fallen greatly. I am getting 0.0 on plusnet speedcheck and 0.2-0.3mbps on www.adslguide.org speedcheck. My download rates are very low ... around 20kbps... :? Sad

I have checked my exhcange here:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

My Exchange (ilford north) is showing up as green with no problem.

Anyone else having the same problem (low speeds, but exchange is green)??

Plusnet please advise/help.
14 REPLIES
N/A

I,m in the same boat i did a speed test tonight after tempting to download a file at 512k speeds.... grrr

i got 400k download rate ( normal is 4.5mb to 5.5mbs)

very odd i see so many people getting such slow speeds

and I'm thinking starting to wonder if Bskyb have taken over the world and cut off my inet... just kidding enyways i hope this is
resolved soon as its the weekend and i got me some downloading /uploading to do.
N/A

I am seriously annoyed. PlusNet has been a joy up until recently when my download speeds reduced to a crawl. Is this linked the the BT takeover?

I have sent the support team a note about my misery - lets see what happens... If I have no joy by the end of March I will be looking elsewhere.
N/A

=7=

I've been with about 5-6 different ISPs and plusnet seem to have the best support area online as well as a very customer focused approach from what I have seen so far. Combined with good speeds and decent price everything was 'sweet' until the recent drop in speeds.

Hopefully someone from plusnet will read this thread and whilst not immediately be able to resolve the issue, simply let us know what's going on and whether a realistic eta is known for resolution.
N/A

Spped fluctuation

Why can't we get a response from plusnet on speed fluctuations. For years I have been enjoying 980, now I am down to 500, sometimes 100, despite having upgraded to 8MB.
I have high level contacts in BT, it's not an exchange problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: Spped fluctuation

I have high level contacts in BT, it's not an exchange problem.

Yes, but PN are not being 100% truthful about all these red exchanges. They're just finding it easier to blame on BT rather than accept any blame themselves for bad business management.

Would be nice if your contacts would publish something 'officially'. Then PN might be tempted to try and fix things.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

=7=

After creating a ticket I received the following reply from plus net:

"You are on our broadband Plus account. This account is designed as an entry level product designed for light browsing and e-mail use. This month your peak time usage is 4.78GB. This is higher than this product is designed for and as such you will see reduced connection speed. I would recommend either upgrading your account to either Premier or Pay as you go as these accounts will better suite your needs and allow you to use your connection is its fullest"

I was highly sceptical about upgrading espicially since jeebsuk is already on the 'premier' package and experiencing speed problems. However in all fairness the website clearly does state the broadband plus (£14.99/month)account isn't suitable for heavy usage. Therefore I upgraded to Broadband Premier (£21.99/month).

My speeds since then have been fine. On www.speedtest.net & www.adslguide.org I get approx 5.6 to 6.2 mbps download speeds depending on time of day. I will keep an eye and report back here if there are any issues.

The plusnet speed checker doesn't work properly for me (reports speed 0.0kbps). Perhaps it's overloaded.
N/A

I'm afraid they throttle once you get to 3GB even though you're entitled to 4GB. This could change tomorrow of course just depends the mood they're in.

They should put the prices of Broadband Plus up a fiver and give a top notch service and then everyone will be pleased.And make sure it's clear in the sign up pages exactly what you're getting instead of saying "Unlimited Downloads".
Also allow people to leave without penalty each time they change their T&C's.
We'd then all be one big happy family.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: =7=

The plusnet speed checker doesn't work properly for me (reports speed 0.0kbps). Perhaps it's overloaded.

There is a problem with the speedtest and we will shortly be replacing it, the new hardware's undergoing configuration before it's sent down to London.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

They should put the prices of Broadband Plus up a fiver and give a top notch service and then everyone will be pleased.

Or they could just switch to Premier or PAYG if Broadband Plus isn't suitable. Why would everyone need to pay an extra fiver when most people on Broadband Plus are light users?

And make sure it's clear in the sign up pages exactly what you're getting instead of saying "Unlimited Downloads".

It doesn't say "Unlimited Downloads" anywhere so I don't know where you get that from, I suggest taking a look at:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_plus.shtml?link=resbb_pluslink

Also allow people to leave without penalty each time they change their T&C's.

If the T's & C's do get changed then people can leave should they wish only deferred fees would be payable as what happened when we last changed the T's & C's in August 2005.
N/A

Plusnet Press Centre April 2006

PlusNet Broadband Plus has been upgraded to offer up to 8Mbit speeds for only £14.99 per month with no fixed download limits. PlusNet have included their PlusTalk pay as you go VoIP calls service... Broadband Plus is the perfect introduction to broadband ideal for surfing and email.

The rules are constanlty changing,what you signed up to originally obviously doesn't count.
Probably be something else next month and then you'll say " oh we never said that look at the rules".
When you sign up you have to be psychic so you can guess what the rules will be in the future.
N/A

Oh and a quote from ISP Review March 6.

PlusNet itself has successfully managed to anger a lot of its customers over the past few months, following numerous service, support and quality issues.

You don't say. Cheesy
shellsong
Grafter

You've got to realise that "no fixed download limits" does not mean as many foolishly supposed "unlimited downloads" but "we don't tell you what the limits are but keep moving them downwards as it suits us"-- you really must learn how to read T&Cs and FUPs! Wink
N/A

It's often hard to decipher doublespeak. Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

We realise that no fixed limits can be tricky to understand which is why we follow this up with our traffic management pages.

The product refresh later in the year should make the packages we offer clearer for people to understand.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team