Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recalibration of network speed?

gosforth
Grafter

Hi,
My router was at the end of a very long telephone cable. I have now moved the router right next to the master phone socket and installed CAT6 cabling from the router to various rooms in the house.

I've been checking the speed of my connection and there does not appear to be any difference. Does the system automatically recalibrate to take into account improved conditions, or do I need to do something?

Cheers,
Chris.
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What were the line stats before and after the move? Have they actually changed i.e. is your sync speed higher indicating that the move has improved your SNR and thus allowed a higher sync rate.

If the sync rate is higher but your data throughput is the same then you will need to wait 3->5 days for BT's systems to catch up with the improved sync speed to update your data rate profile. See connection settings -> high speed broadband for the data rate profile currently in place.
gosforth
Grafter

Thanks. My current broadband speed is 6500 Kbpsec, but I don't know when this was measured or what it was before! I do know that my download speeds aren't any better than they were previously. Back in April my fastest connection was 6418.4kb/s, whereas now with my new 'improved' connection the best has been 5892.1kb/s. I'll wait a few days as you suggest.

I hope that the performance will improve. My router is now connected directly to the master socket, whereas there was previously about a 20m telephone lead extension.

Although the CAT6 cabling will be 'future proof' by potentially providing Gigabit ethernet, it seems that my Netgear DG834G will only run an internal network up to 100Mb/s (the same as CAT5 cable) and the ADSL connection is running at a fraction of that. Therefore the CAT 6 won't be any better than CAT5. I mention this for the benefit of others!!
Community Veteran

What speed is your router syncing at and is it any faster than before the move? If it is syncing lower than before then your throughput will also be lower.
gosforth
Grafter

How do I find out the sync speed?

Best regards,
Chris.
Community Veteran

What ADSL equipment do you use?

This may help: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
gosforth
Grafter

Thanks. I have a Netgear DG834G. Your link tells me how to do it - I also notice that there is a firmware upgrade that I have not installed. Will have a play when I get home and will post more information then.

I've just run the speed checker at work (Newcastle University, straight on the JANET network) and it is only showing 5636.7kb/s. Our connections are normally at least an order of magnitude faster so I am wondering if the slow speed is down to PlusNet?

Cheers,
Chris.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Looking at the reports that we're getting from BT, it would appear that you are actually on a 6000Kbps profile with the latest resync event being at 6816Kbps, which would suggest that your line is being profiled correctly.

I really wouldn't expect much further improvement I'm afraid.
gosforth
Grafter

I've just upgraded the firmware and had a look at the statistics.

My upload connection speed is showing as 8128 kbps and the download speed is shown as 448kbps.

It looks as if the peformance has improved.

Thanks,
Chris.
N/A

That's as fast as you're going to get- but are you sure that you've got upload and download speed the right way around :shock:
gosforth
Grafter

Well spotted! I had got them the wrong way round.

The RouterStats 2.7i program I downloaded from the above link looks good. It gives you real time graphs of sync speed or noise margin. I can see two perfectly horizontal lines: 8128 kbps for download and 448bps for upload, so it looks as if I have been lucky and got a nice stable connection with the maximum sync speeds. I'll look forward to the BT system responding to these improved values.
James
Grafter

Nice work!

You should see an improvement in profile speed in the next 2-3 days. You're more than welcome to give me a shout if you don't see any improvements and I'll run a few line checks, but I'd fully expect your profiled speed to bump up a little bit and hopefully see a slight improvement in throughput depending on your exchange.

I suppose this is the part where I ear humble pie, right?
gosforth
Grafter

No humble pie required. I'm just grateful for the help that I received and looking forward to a bit of improvement. I probably won't notice a great difference from a practical point of view, but I do like seeing a nice high line on my nice RouterStats graph! Thanks again. Smiley Smiley
N/A

An original post on this thread has moved me to write this post, hoping someone may be able to help my sporadic connection and speeds (or lack of it).

I have a telephone cable under wooden flooring (so can't access it) the cable is a little long in my opinion.

I'm getting sometimes speeds of around 1.8Mbps, but more often than not i'm getting around 256Kbps to 700Kbps.

When this is the case, i'm suffering multiple disconnections and getting online again (dial up ADSL - Voyager) is taking sometimes 5-6 attempts, reboot, lots of swearing etc.

Please help.
James
Grafter

Eugh, that doesn't sound too good. Are you able to access your master socket at all or is that also under the floor?

------ Filter ------ Modem
===========Floor===================================
Socket-----------------|

Something like that?