cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow speeds: less than dial-up for ADSL 500!

N/A

Can anyone help me?

I'm getting terrible speeds from my ADSL line. I've been tweaking my MTU according to many different forums, but just can't seem to get the same speed I did just under a year ago.

The speed tests on here have been telling me that on occasions I've litterally had poor dial-up speeds on my ADSL 512 line!

To put things in perspective, here's a selection of speeds which I've recently been recieving:

23-05-2004 08:59:54 - 94.4

23-05-2004 07:37:15 - 82
23-05-2004 06:45:59 - 54.6
23-05-2004 05:28:15 - 80.4
23-05-2004 04:14:27 - 69
24-04-2004 18:47:41 - 372.6
24-04-2004 15:22:20 - 214.5
12-08-2003 20:51:49 - 492.9

As you can see the speeds are slow regardless of the time of day.

I've tried tweaking the MTU both on my box and on my SAR715 router to no avail.

Has anyone got any tips that might help me? Any comments at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

what are yor current MTU / Rwin settings?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Currently my MTU is 1430, but I've tried 1452, 1478, 1492, and 1500. I'm on linux (Slackware-9.1), so don't know how/where to find/set the RWin value.

Do I need to set both values? Does the MTU need to be set on both my box and router? I'm just wondering, because the router seems to want to revert to an MTU of 1500 whenever its reset, even though I save it at another value.
N/A

As it seems, setting my MTU to 1430 is gaining the best results. I'm getting a downstream between 100 and 120 - less than Dual ISDN! Whats worrying me is that my upstream speed has remained pretty much as expected: over 200, and most of the time above 256!

It seems there is something wrong. But its not just while I'm working in Linux - my Win2K partition shows the same results, even with the tweaks as described on this forum.

Could it be a PlusNet problem?
Community Veteran

Do you have a firewall or virus scanner installed. Try disabling/uninstalling these and see if your speeds increase?

Are you connected to the BT master socket? If not, try connecting to it and see if your speeds are better.

Have you tried all the suggestins in the troubleshooting tutorial or the troubleshooting help pages.

Make sure you have all phones, faxes, 56k modems and sky boxes connected via ADSL filter/splitters - see ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

Also try the ADSLguide speed test.

If none of the above help, raise a contact us ticket and ask PlusNet to investigate but explain what you have tried.
N/A

Do you have a firewall or virus scanner installed. Try disabling/uninstalling these and see if your speeds increase?

The 715 has a firewall built-in, but this isn't making any difference - whether its off or on, both up and down are the same.

Are you connected to the BT master socket? If not, try connecting to it and see if your speeds are better.

Nope, and never have been. The set-up hasn't changed since the first install. Nothing. But the speeds have decreased.

Have you tried all the suggestins in the troubleshooting tutorial or the troubleshooting help pages.

Nope - didn't realise they were there. I'll have a look for/at them.

Make sure you have all phones, faxes, 56k modems and sky boxes connected via ADSL filter/splitters - see ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

As previously mentioned, the setup has been the same. The only difference is my box which has been re-installed a few of times numerous versions of linux. However, this hasn't affected the Win2K partition, and that's not showing the same speed as before.

Also try the ADSLguide speed test.

Thats the speed test I regularly use, which is showing that my upstream speed is absolutely normal, but the downstream speed is worse than dialup.

If none of the above help, raise a contact us ticket and ask PlusNet to investigate but explain what you have tried.

I'll do that right now - Thanks! Cheesy
csogilvie
Grafter

You could also have a loot at http://cgi.support.plus.com/faultreporting/ as I think CU will ask you to do that anyway.