cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real contention ratios?

jlpappin
Grafter

Real contention ratios?

I am seriously doubting that we get a contention ratio of 50:1. For myself and two other people I know who use PlusNet, we were given lovely speeds for the first couple of weeks and then pushed aside onto this pipe everyone who has been here for more than two weeks uses with a contention ratio of probably 800000:1. So then all the new users are kept sweet and refer people before they to come onto our pipe so we can sit here and bitch about it. Maybe PlusNet want Oftel involved as it is publicity at the end of the day or maybe their contention ratio is based on a 512k connection and not the 10mbps used by all other ISP's including crappy BT which right now for the first time ever is looking quite appealing and it pains me to say that.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Real contention ratios?

You shouldn't be looking at Plus.Net for information regarding the ADSL contention ratios. ADSL contention takes place in the BT network, before Plus.Net even see a packet of your data.

However, it would be nice to know what the contention ratios are outside of the ADSL network, once it hits the Redback SMS
N/A

However it's the outgoing pipes that are congested not the ATM.
Two people in the same area, same household even, being on the same BT ATM and different ISPs will get two competey different speeds. As a proof - even dusring the worst speeds you can download at full speed from ftp.plus.net - that means it's not BT ATM that's congested, it's the outgoing pipe at Plusnet you happen to be.

N/A

Then that brings it to the point about bad routing, latency, bottlenecks and poor connectivity at the destination host.

Multiply this with the Plus.Net issues and you get a Jammie Oliver creation, that doesn't include Alcahol!

N/A

the contention on BT is no different to plusnet. they do not split 10mb between 50 users. going thtough plusnet you are going onto the same BT radsl network as other Isp's.