cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-starting Router

N/A

Re-starting Router

Hey all not sure what the problem is but recently i have had to keep switching off my router i got from Plusnet and switching it on again, i get the Net for about 10 mins then i ahve to do it again? any ideas, you think its just goosed and i will get onto Plusnet?

Cheers

Taz
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re-starting Router

Some routers have a setting called "Idle timeout" - it's a setting that makes the router disconnect after a specified perioud of inactivity. Have you checked to see if this is the problem?

Thomas
N/A

Re-starting Router

thx for the reply, whilst my PC kowledge is pretty good, i have no idea how to check to see if that is the problem......
N/A

Re-starting Router

do you have the make and model of your router? Normaly you log on to the router via a web page(you must of done this to set it up) and its a matter of looking through the pages to find the timeout. It is normally on one of the first pages on most routers
N/A

Re-starting Router

extra to mwright -
Depending on model it will either be idle timeout or automatic reconnect
Idle timeout should be set at 0 or never, Auto reconnect at Yes

Check all your connections, by unplugging and plugging back in all connections between the master socket and the router, including filters.
Change the filter incase it has gone short.
Check your exchange status http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Community Veteran

Re-starting Router

Start a continuous ping in a dos/cmd window: ping -t portal.plus.net

If the connection does not drop after 10 mins then the router or PC is disconnecting when idle and that needs to be disabled. Netgear routers have an idle timeout default of 5 mins, other routers may be different but most have an idle time type feature.
N/A

Re-starting Router

cheers guys, it wont let me set it to Zero, i have this:

NAT Global Information
TCP Idle Timeout(sec): 86000
TCP Close Wait(sec): 60
TCP Def Timeout(sec): 60
UDP Timeout(sec): 300
ICMP Timeout(sec): 5
GRE Timeout(sec): 300
Default Nat Age(sec): 40
NAPT Port Start: 50000
NAPT Port End: 51023

As for Peters post im not confident in doing that sorry! Cry
N/A

Re-starting Router

P.S the router is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL

In the web set up when i cant access web, the WAN interface ppp-0 displays a red light for status

cheers
Community Veteran

Re-starting Router

As for Peters post im not confident in doing that sorry! Cry

It's very easy to do...

Running a ping command does no harm, it just sends out test packets to portal.plus.com which replies thus keeping the network connection active so any idle timeout cannot occur. This is just to prove if it is an idle timeout that is causing your problem.

To get a DOS window do the following:

For Win9x/Me click start->run and enter 'command' and click OK

For WinNT/2K/XP click start->run and enter 'cmd' and click OK

At the C:> prompt type
C:> ping -t portal.plus.com

This is what you will see:

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>ping -t portal.plus.net

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=249

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 20ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>

and let it continue. To stop it just press CTRL+C keys together.

Just leave the ping command running in the background and see if you get disconnected (the WAN ppp-0 shows red). If it does not after 20 mins then it is an idle timeout problem. To further prove this, stop the ping using CTRL+C, wait 10 mins with no network activity and see if the WAN ppp-0 shows red. If it does this again proves it's an idle timeout problem.

You will then probably need to adjust one of more of the timers you have listed in your earlier post but not knowing your router I will leave it to others to guide you on the correct settings.
N/A

Re-starting Router

TCP Idle Timeout(sec): 86000

If read that correctly (don't know the router), idle timeout would appear to be just under 24hours.
N/A

Re-starting Router

Yes.

However, it is very easily possible to have a TCP connection open without traffic for longer than that.
painswck
Grafter

Re-starting Router

Hi taz121,

If you have the SAR 110 then in the web interface go to the home screen. About 1/2 way down you have the section WAN interfaces. Where it shows ppp-0 this is a link. If you click on it it takes you to the PPP configuration screen.. You will see a box labelled ' Inactivity TimeOut(mins) for startondata PPP Interfaces: ' check that this is set to zero.

This may be what you were looking for.

Cheers
Roland
N/A

Re-starting Router

Can i first of all thank you all for the replys, firstly Hinkley, it is set to 0 mate and i am currently running the CMD and i got a 'request time out' after a few mins but it carried on after that pinging, another 5 mins and a get the same message before it continues again, so far i can still use the net but i shall try tomorrow when i have more time

thx again
N/A

Re-starting Router

Although looking at othr threads it would suggest that i am not the only one with the problem, as it worked fine for 10 months until this week
N/A

Re-starting Router

This thread may have the answer.

Look towards the end.
Firmware updates and stealthing the router cures what appears to be a bug in the router that is being attacked by malicious code.