Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-orders for 60db tests

Lorian
Grafter

Re-orders for 60db tests

Hi plus,

Another ISP is reporting that BT have said the threshold will incrase to 60db from Early July. Have you heard anyhting from your contacts at BT?

Also, whats the procedure when the limit increases, do we just re-submit an upgrade order as per normal?

thanks,

Jc.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Re-orders for 60db tests

Orders should just be submitted as normal.

+net place the order through the BT Wholesale channels, and status results come back form there.

As such, it is the BT Wholesale systems you will be depending on, to say that the 60db ability is available.

BT Have yet to fully confirm that 60db will be the new threshold, as testing is still in progress. I guess more information will be available on the issue at the end of the month.
N/A

Re-orders for 60db tests

I've had 2 previous line tests, 1 failed on distance, the other on db loss. These were with NIldram and Plusnet. Cry Having my suspicions about BT and their rollout/stanglehold of wholsale ADSL to these companies and others, i always thought that if i'd applied for BTOpenworld, it would miraculously pass the test (i beleive that theres no guarantee of speed, and BT always stated 500kb/s rather than 512, so who would know if it took some hits on the way).
Anyway, time passes and the jungle drums beat that the limit is being upped to 60db, so i apply again Smiley . I'm waiting on my ADSL order to be confirmed, or declined with +Net. I know that the line test was 57db, so probably fail at the current climate.
However, I rang BTBroadband (thinking it was a Broadband Helpline for BT Landline cutomers and trying to find a way to get an answer), and said to them 'what is the current limit?, as i've heard its going to 60db?', and the woman there replied 'We already take it as 60db!' - SO my suspicions are probably right. Even if my line does pass, BT would probably have passed it some time back. :x
Community Veteran

Re-orders for 60db tests

globaleyes

Can you reduce the size of your avatar, its well over the size limit for this forum which is 80 x 80. Yours is currently 200 x 150.
Community Veteran

Re-orders for 60db tests

The limits are across the board for all ISPs, they all use the same ordering system etc.
If BT where to be that monopolistic there would be severe consiquences for them so it would not be worth it.
They might tred a thin line sometimes but that's about it.

No ISPs are taking orders for 60db at present BT Wholesale are still conducting thier own testing and it's still on track for July I believe.

Chris
N/A

Re-orders for 60db tests

Sorry about the Avatar, didnt think it was that big!

I suppose the wait for ADSL continues for me then, hope its worth it when I finally get it! What kind of quality should i expect out of this 60db limit? Does this mean theyre squeezing what they can out of the poor quality lines going to peoples houses, or is this a technological advance, which makes it better for everyone?
Community Veteran

Re-orders for 60db tests

I suppose the wait for ADSL continues for me then, hope its worth it when I finally get it! What kind of quality should i expect out of this 60db limit? Does this mean theyre squeezing what they can out of the poor quality lines going to peoples houses, or is this a technological advance, which makes it better for everyone?

I think it's a case of both better technology with more sensitive equipment becoming available and also sqeezing out the last few drops from your line.
One good thing about digital systems though is that the signal is either there or its not, theres no inbetween. The only thing that may be reduced is the actual speed at which you can upload / download but it's still going to be many times faster than dialup. Shocked

Lets hope you get it soon
Lorian
Grafter

Re-orders for 60db tests

I think it's a case of both better technology with more sensitive equipment becoming available

No unfortunatley it's just a change to the test limit. technology remains the same, although your are right people are more likley to see upstream rate-adaption.

Jc.