cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-booting my router - what does that mean?

N/A

Hello,
I'm currently in the group of people who are waiting to see what sort of speed increase we might get out of signing up to "up to 8MB", and one of the things I recall being told to do was to reboot my router. The problem is, I don't know what that means! Is that simply saying reboot the pc? or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for any help
Paul
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

If you are using a USB modem for the ADSL connection then rebooting the PC will also reboot the modem. However if you are using an ADSL router most of the time you will need to physically power this off and then back on, although it is definitely recommended that this is done through the router interface.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

If you don't want to simply power down your router then post the make and model then someone will probably be able to help you.

Checking your the manufacturers website and/or literature should also have details on how to do this.
N/A

Thanks for the help. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and post the routers details.
Cheers
N/A

Hi,
Looking at the router, (its a Binatone ADSL USB 500 that came from PlusNet when I signed up) it seems to be USB and there is no power on or reboot switch so I guess that I can assume that it reboots with the machine?
N/A

A USB modem gets its power from the PC, so switching the PC off and back on (rebooting) also powers down the modem, so rebooting the PC will reboot the modem.