cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Network (Again)

Fixes: 125

RE: Re: Network (Again)

> I have seen this kind of thing before. Set up a user on PC2 that has rights to the share, then on PC1 open Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Map Netowrk Drive, put in \PC2\sharename and click on 'connect using a different username' and enter PC2\<username> and the relevant password.
>
> If the username is different to that on PC1, you will have to do this everytime you reboot either. I have my printer shared on my PC and have to reconnect to the share every time I plug my work laptop in.

Thanks but I am still getting the Network cannot be found error. My hair is now thinning and going grey:-(

Cheers everyone
--
Mike

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

can you actually ping one machine from the other?
N/A

> > Mike,
> > If you tried swapping PC1 and PC2 UTP cables and things still didn't work, then you may want to try to remove the TCP/IP stack and set it up again. If that doesn't work you may want to re-install the network card drivers on PC2 and setting up the TCP/IP stack from scratch. Or, try an upgraded driver. If you've tried all this and are still having problems, then ignore this.
> > Evans
> >
> D'you mean physically take the cards out and place them back in again? How do I re-install the drivers?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Mike

You don't have to physically remove the cards. I assume you're using windows, so you need to go to the "network properties" and select to "re-install" the current driver on PC2 alone.

But first, you need to do a ping. From command promtp on PC2, ping PC2's IP address

If no reply, try re-installing driver.

>
> You don't have to physically remove the cards. I assume you're using windows, so you need to go to the "network properties" and select to "re-install" the current driver on PC2 alone.

Sorry but where exactly. Is it in the TCP/IP Properties box (W2K). If so there's no Re-Install option. Sorry to be so blank but I feel this is aging me fasterthan needs be;-)
>
> But first, you need to do a ping. From command promtp on PC2, ping PC2's IP address
>
> If no reply, try re-installing driver.

I assume by Ping you mean type in 192.168.7.3 from the command prompt? If so I get an error.

Funny thing though is that when I decided to change the last part of the IP addresses on the two PCs from 2 & 3 to 3 & 4 respectively as I changed 2 to 3 on PC1 I got an error on my machine informing me that 3 was already in use plus a messaage came up on the other machine informing me that the IP of PC1 was being changed. SO they must be 'seeing' each other. But I still get errors and neither PC can see the folders of the other or have their names in the Computers near me display.
--
Mike

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

N/A

> >
> > You don't have to physically remove the cards. I assume you're using windows, so you need to go to the "network properties" and select to "re-install" the current driver on PC2 alone.
>
> Sorry but where exactly. Is it in the TCP/IP Properties box (W2K). If so there's no Re-Install option. Sorry to be so blank but I feel this is aging me fasterthan needs be;-)
> >
> > But first, you need to do a ping. From command promtp on PC2, ping PC2's IP address
> >
> > If no reply, try re-installing driver.
>
> I assume by Ping you mean type in 192.168.7.3 from the command prompt? If so I get an error.
>
> Funny thing though is that when I decided to change the last part of the IP addresses on the two PCs from 2 & 3 to 3 & 4 respectively as I changed 2 to 3 on PC1 I got an error on my machine informing me that 3 was already in use plus a messaage came up on the other machine informing me that the IP of PC1 was being changed. SO they must be 'seeing' each other. But I still get errors and neither PC can see the folders of the other or have their names in the Computers near me display.
>
> --
> Mike

First and foremost, you need to try and isoloate the problem to one machine. Going by what you said initially, the problem is with PC2, b'cuz it couldn't connect to the internet. The origianl IP addresses were just alright. (Avoid doing too many things at once).

Second, to do a 'ping', go to the command prompt.
type: ping 192.168.1.3 <enter>
(please replace this IP address with the one you have used for PC2)

Only re-install the driver IF the ping gives errors and no replies. To re-install driver, make sure you have the driver files b4 you uninstall the previous. Only do this when you're sure of what you're doing. (You take this advice at your own risk and no gurantee is given. I'm NOT responsible for any problems this may cause what so ever.)

On W2K, go to "control panel", double click "System" icon. In "System proterties" window, select "Hardware" tab on top. Click on "Device Manager". Under Device manager, expand "Network Adapters" and see if there're any exclamation marks anywhere. If so, investigate by double clicking. If not, find your network adapter under here and double click to get it's properties. You can then find where to uninstall the driver from here. After you uninstall, please follow the specified instructions from your network card provider (manual perhaps) on how to install.

Again, no guarantee and no responsibility whatsoever on my part.

Thanks for the detailed infor - very helpful.

To clarify; I have now got internet access (Email & Web) on both machines working.

Pinging PC2 from PC1 shows no errors.

Pinging PC1 from PC2 shows 100% errors.

I have downloaded the lestest drivers from Realtek's website for W2K/ The only sites seem to be in aisia but I assume they are all the same.

I will be installing them later this evening or tomorrow. I'll post back here and let you know how it's going.

Thanks again.

--
Mike

Just to updtae;

Pinging PC2 and the router from PC1 produces no errors whatsoever.

Pinging Router from PC2 - no errors
Pinging PC1 from PC2 - 100% error even after I have re-installed card and drivers.

Both PC still have access to the internet. Any more suggestions, please?

Cheers
--
Mike

N/A

> Just to updtae;
>
> Pinging PC2 and the router from PC1 produces no errors whatsoever.
>
> Pinging Router from PC2 - no errors
> Pinging PC1 from PC2 - 100% error even after I have re-installed card and drivers.
>
> Both PC still have access to the internet. Any more suggestions, please?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Mike

Give us a breakdown of all the active devices in your network and how they're wired, i.e which device connects directly to which.

> Give us a breakdown of all the active devices in your network and how they're wired, i.e which device connects directly to which.
>

PC1 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
PC2 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
Router connected direct to ADLS wall outlet.

All indicators on router on indicating everything ok. All leads are normnal (not crossover)

One thing I will look into is that PC2 has two network cards of which I have disabled each in turn while connecting and setting up the otyher. I'll now actually remove a card at a time.

Thanks.

--
Mike

BTW I have had a network up and running with these two machines but this was a direct connection witha crossover lead and, althpoigh PC1 was still W2K PC 2 was ME.

PC2 still had the two Netowrk cards in.

HTH
--
Mike

N/A

> > Give us a breakdown of all the active devices in your network and how they're wired, i.e which device connects directly to which.
> >
>
> PC1 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
> PC2 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
> Router connected direct to ADLS wall outlet.
>
> All indicators on router on indicating everything ok. All leads are normnal (not crossover)
>
> One thing I will look into is that PC2 has two network cards of which I have disabled each in turn while connecting and setting up the otyher. I'll now actually remove a card at a time.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
> --
> Mike

Mike, I'm inclined to think that the router may be filtering trafic between the two PCs. The two cards in PC2 shouldn't be a problem. Check the router config but don't change current config unless you're convinced. Am not familiar with the Solwise SAR110 Router and don't know exactly what you should look for. read the manual.

try asking for help on router config
N/A

> > > Give us a breakdown of all the active devices in your network and how they're wired, i.e which device connects directly to which.
> > >
> >
> > PC1 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
> > PC2 Connected Direct to Solwise SAR110 Router
> > Router connected direct to ADLS wall outlet.
> >
> > All indicators on router on indicating everything ok. All leads are normnal (not crossover)
> >
> > One thing I will look into is that PC2 has two network cards of which I have disabled each in turn while connecting and setting up the otyher. I'll now actually remove a card at a time.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mike
>
> Mike, I'm inclined to think that the router may be filtering trafic between the two PCs. The two cards in PC2 shouldn't be a problem. Check the router config but don't change current config unless you're convinced. Am not familiar with the Solwise SAR110 Router and don't know exactly what you should look for. read the manual.
>
> try asking for help on router config
>

also check out
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/

> >
> > Mike, I'm inclined to think that the router may be filtering trafic between the two PCs. The two cards in PC2 shouldn't be a problem. Check the router config but don't change current config unless you're convinced. Am not familiar with the Solwise SAR110 Router and don't know exactly what you should look for. read the manual.

I'm lookimng through the pdf file now for the SAR110 hoping to find something!

> > try asking for help on router config

I hve tried there but only one reply in over a month:-(

Thanks
--
Mike

> I'm looking through the pdf file now for the SAR110 hoping to find something!

There are no IP filter rules set!

So back to the drawing board I'm afarid.

Cheers
--
Mike

I've done a iagnostics test and the following failed/ Perhaps someone could enlighten me whether these have any bearing on the Netowrking problem;

Ping Primary Domain Name Server - Fail
Query DNS for www.globespanvirata.com - Fail
Ping www.globespanvirata.com - Fail

BTW Should IGMP be enabled?
What about DHCP mode, Cureently set to none? it could be set to either Srver or Relay.
--
Mike