Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rates on Max

aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

Can anyone help

I am on a 20:1 contention and when I do the PN Speed test in the mornings I am getting around 5.5 to 6 mb

In the evenings this drops to 1.5 to 4mb I have tried this at various time (ie weekends) thta should be off peak to business and am still noticing the same pattern

Being on a "Business" product, (Teleworker Pro) and 20:1 contention there shouldbe little to no shapping.

My router reports a stable rate

DSL Speed 832 Kbps Upstream,
8128 Kbps Downstream
the odd time it may drop slightly to 7600 Kbps

Does anyone have an explaination for this ?

Thanks
MARK
14 REPLIES
N/A

Rates on Max

Hi Mark

More like Exchange contention I would guess.

However, I do not like the PN speedtester, at all.
The ADSL Guide test is more accurate and then there is the good old BT Speed Test which will give us a good idea of where the problem lies.

What information does the Exchange Checker give for your exchange?
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

Hi The BT Ecxhange status is as follows
Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 4.5Mbps or greater.

I am also getting comparable results from both adslguide and speedtest.net

MArk
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

Here is a morning time test

PlusNet Speed Test

Your current speed is:

5.80 Mbps

Which means you can download at 742.02 KB/sec. from our servers.

53.3 kbps 56k Dial Up
64 kbps ISDN 1 Channel
128 kbps ISDN Dual Channel
460 kbps ADSL 500
920 kbps ADSL 1000
1840 kbps ADSL 2000
5936.2 kbps YOU

The following table shows the speeds you achieved from previous runs of the speed tester:

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
20-08-2006 21:59:37 934.5
20-08-2006 21:52:50 811.4
20-08-2006 21:52:33 679.7

This is a product with no shaping ??
MArk
N/A

Rates on Max

Fair enough.

The BT test will rule exchange contention in or out of the equation.

As you are on a business product I would very much doubt it is a PN issue, unless a mistaken profile has been applied, but its too early to point the finger there without seeing the BT test first.
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

FROM BT SPEEDTEST< DIRECT LOG IN

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 028xxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
5841 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 217.32.97.125, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.
shellsong
Grafter

Rates on Max

Actually I don't see your problem-- you only seem to be suffering worst case contention of 5:1, 20:1 would be just under 400Kbps!

I would like contention of 1:1 but not many providers offer that level of service-- meanwhile I put up with something between 5:1 and 2:1

What exercises me more is the usage restrictions we have to live with!
N/A

Rates on Max

Hi Mark,

Your BT test seems fine and certainly within MAX specs.

I'd be interested in seeing the same test running when you experience the slow down.
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

please read the POST, it is not to do with contention but with the variance in the stable broadband rate.
This is varing from 6+mb in the morning to under 1mb in the evening time

thanks

MArk
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

Hi Mark,

I will try and do that in the next night or two but having looked at my router figure, and checking it via re-boot it appears to be stable and in and around the same connection rates
I am not sure where the problems are

MArk
Community Veteran

Rates on Max

Please READ the post ... varing from 6+mb in the morning to under 1mb in the evening time

Your posts above mention information from speedtests, and so is about actual download speeds that can be affected by contention.

But your comment above, seems to be talking about the speeds your modem is synchronisg at. Is this true? You are looking at settings/status from logging into your router and is shows speeds between 1000 to 6000kb/s ?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

I am on a 20:1 contention and when I do the PN Speed test in the mornings I am getting around 5.5 to 6 mb

In the evenings this drops to 1.5 to 4mb I have tried this at various time (ie weekends) that should be off peak to business and am still noticing the same pattern

This is refering to my browsing speed tests, the figures shown are those which have requested by PN to help in relation to a raised ticket.

The post is refering to high speed in the morning and poor speeds in the evening

Contention is mentioned as there should be no product shaping and therefore rulling it out as a possible cause....

Sorry for any confusion

MArk
Community Veteran

Rates on Max

Then you are probably looking at contention at your exchange. Also the PN speedtester is located in Shefield, there could be contention on that connection between Telehouse and Shefield too.

Be aware, on MaxDSL, the contention ratios of 50:1 and 20:1 are meaningless. All that is happening is at the exchange the Max Premium lines are supposed to take some priority over non-Premimum connections.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
aetos
Grafter

Rates on Max

Still I don't think that that should account for a 5Mb drop in speeds between morning and evening ?

MArk
N/A

Rates on Max

Believe me it could Mark, very easily.

Next time you are on PUG, ask kitz to talk you through her contention experiences recently.

It would bring a tear to your eye.

BT have rolled out MAX but still dont have the capacity to deal with the growing number of users and even small village exchanges are groaning under the strain in the same fashion as many of the larger ones.

Its not a pleasant esperience but a reality nonetheless. Sad