cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random restarts, system freezes

N/A

As a newbie to ADSL i have experienced a few teething problems.
xphome
norton virus and firewall

Firstly loading and connecting to ADSL was not that smooth (user factor
Shockedops: ).
after a couple of days i experienced random system restarts, sometimes 2-3 restarts without entering anything.

changed all partitions to NTFS
uninstalled and reinstall latest sound driver
these made no difference.

System also would not go into stand by mode (caused a restart)

I uninstalled Kazzaa, no difference.
I unplugged the modem (standard issue) and the issue went away.
I uninstalled the modem driver,connection etc.
reloaded them all and everything works fine (no kazzaa)

Except i still get system hanging
This seems random, different applications each time and requires a reboot.
Anyone experienced a problem like this and resolved it ?
advice would be much appreciated.

Oh by the way connection speeds are always very good, this is a very happy customer with the service at this early stage, i just wish the user was up to scratch.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Alot of info there but you missed out the vital bits.

Is it a USB modem?
Are you using the motherboard USB port or a seperate Powered Hub / PCI expansion card?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I suspect folks will want more info:

1. What ADSL Router/Modem are you using?

2. Have you got the latest drivers for it?

3. What operating system are you using? Have you applied any recent patches/service packs?

4. If it's an internal PCI card... Have you tried it another slot? Are there any possible conflicts with other cards in your system? (IRQ etc.)

5. If it's a USB modem, what other USB devices are you using? Can any be removed to ensure there are no power issues?

6. Beyond that.. I would start to strip my PC/Software setup back to as basic as i could get it. Add things back one at a time and see what breaks.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

(This would have been posted earlier if I hadn't had another 'Invalid_session' - Grrrr.. Wink )
N/A

Apologies,

usb modem,
using motherboard usb port.
msi kt4v i think off the top of my head.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok thats your problem then, the USB port can't deliver enough power for most if not all USB modems, so your PC shuts off to save its self when the level required is reached.

So 2 ways to fix it, get either a Self Powered USB Hub or a PCI USB expansion card.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

That is indeed the source of your woes. Your mobo is one of many that can't cope with the power requirements of a power-hungry Cheesy USB modem - it requires more current than the ports can provide and causes them to overload, which in turn hangs the system :x Either of the solutions suggested above will cure the problem - a PCI USB card will be cheaper, but it means opening the case and requires a free slot (PCI slots can provide more juice for the ports on the card than the onboard controller), whilst the hub will be a bit more expensive (£25-£30 as against £10-15) but be easier to fit Cheesy

GM
N/A

Self powered 4 port hub from your local computer fair will cost you from £13.00 to whatever you want to pay. Mine is an IMAC and cost £15.00 works perfectly with a Zoom adsl modem + webcam + scanner plugged into it.
N/A

Many thanks to all for input on this.
Much appreciated.
N/A

Hi
from my experience, using an external power supply didnt help. The modem was requesting power through the data cables, and the motherboard was still assigning power to the USB port, regardless of the fact that the modem wasnt using this power. So unless a powerd hub isolates the signal for power though the data cables within the USB cable then it might not work. Please correct me if im wrong its just that even with a powered hub, my modem still restarted my computer.
Andrew
Community Veteran

The powered hub option does work in the majority of cases. The motherboard should only provide enough power to meet the load requirements (virtually nil) as the powered hub should provide power to the devices.
It might be you where unlucky with your hub or it was not a power problem that you actaully had.

Chris
N/A

The powered hub option does work in the majority of cases. The motherboard should only provide enough power to meet the load requirements (virtually nil) as the powered hub should provide power to the devices.

Depends on the spec and type of "powered hub". Some are simply repeaters to overcome line losses (10m max with std USB). These, generally cheap, types are simply voltage pumps and do nothing for the current draw off the motherboard.
N/A

I work for BTBB, we have the same problems with our modems,
voyager usb and the voyager 100,

we also recommend getting the usb controllers updated,
the ones we most have problems with are the; viatech, via, intel and sis8001.

the via tech chipset, can be updated from viaareana.com
but you must match the update with the mother board or it will do some damage to the pc.
N/A

This issue has now been resolved.
The cause was bad memory.
replaced and the problems have dissappeared.
thanks all for comments.