cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects?

N/A

Random disconnects?

For the last 4-5 hours I've been getting random, disconnects, and i have to restart the router{speedtouch 585i) for it to allow me to get online....

Also speed or lack of it? 2mb was faster than the 8 I'm on now.

Also pings have doubled in game from about 10-15 to 20-30 :S

not good by plusnet...
14 REPLIES
N/A

Random disconnects?

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem ever since I started with plusnet - over a week ago. Had at least 30 disconnects tonight alone. Frustrating would be somewhat of an understatement.
N/A

Random disconnects?

yes its still not stopping,

and internet speeds when i'm actually connected are, slower than dialup.

i think its moaning on the phone time AGAIN!
N/A

Random disconnects?

Random disconnects are possibly the hardest thing to diagnose- as the problem could be in so many places.

Have the disconnects recently started? If so, has anything about your local environment changed that might be responsible- new phones on the line, subscribed to Sky (Sky boxes are hooked up to the line), added extension lead, new modem etc.

In general the advice seems to be as follows-
1. Check that all telephone points and extensions have microfilters installed.
2. Try swapping the microfilter for your modem with another one, either new or from elsewhere in the house.
3. Unplug everything from your the phone line and plug your modem directly into the master socket or- better still- into the test socket (see Q30 here for how to find your test socket).
4. If possible try connecting with a different modem/router.

If none of the above works run the "Broadband Fault Checker" from within "Connection Settings".
N/A

Random disconnects?

I have also suffered these disconnects over the past few days. They have - on occassion - happened in the past, but I generally check online and can see that there have been problems with ADSL that have required some users to be disconnected.

But there is nothing I can see in the service status that would indicate this currently.

Yes, I agree that these faults can be tricky to identify but the fact that this thread and others have been appearing over the past few days says that something out of the ordinary is ocurring.

It is incredibly frustrating to have to continually re-boot a router just to maintain connectivity.
N/A

Random disconnects?

Been having this problem for about 4 days now myself, there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to the disconnects. I would complain however this is the usual service I've come to expect from plusnet over the last 6 months now and trying to get a decent answer aside from a generic cut & paste response from their customer service is a bit like getting blood from a stone!

Yes, I've raised a ticket.
Yes, I've Checked everything you told me to before you even sent me the generic response telling me to again (as it asks you to on the broadband fault checker)
Yes, There is a fault at your end, as the automated script that posts its results in your support ticket even says so!

got to wonder why if your customer service team even reads half the tickets they receive do they still continue to post generic responses such as the "BT escalation" one.

*edit* Its just taken me about 4 attempts to post this, plus my dsl sync light was flashing yellow at least 2 times while i was typing it. Great service!
N/A

Random disconnects?

Yes, I've Checked everything you told me to before you even sent me the generic response telling me to again (as it asks you to on the broadband fault checker)

Can I just clarify that I am not a member of staff either of PlusNet or of these forums. Any advice I post here is personal opinion and aims to assist the user with any problems they might be experiencing.

The advice I posted above is a direct lift from other posts I've made, tweaked to the user in question, as the process for eliminating internal faults will always be the same and I see no purpose of re-writing existing advice on work time (which is obviously not what my employer pays me for).

I appreciate you may have already been told all of this by PN staff, and are fruhstrated by the repetition of answers, but as you will see in this instance I am simply trying to help advise a specific question from a user who may be less informed than yourself.
N/A

Random disconnects?

lestones - I did realise you were offering help, so apologies for not highlighting this. I'm sure I speak for other posters when I say the negative feeling of the thread is in no way directed towards you.

Indeed, your information is useful and the process of elimination of problems is a methodical and logical one.

However, the fact that others have also experienced a much higher than normal level of disconnects over a 4 day period points to PlusNet needing to carry out a process of fault identification at their end as well...
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Random disconnects?

@chrisbentley2k5

It appears your connection is now pretty stable, one of the faults guys has replied to your ticket.

@melinda54

It looks like the margin on your line is quite low for MAX dsl, this could be the cause of the connection drops. One of the faults guys will pick up your comments later on today.

@whitelightuk

I understand the frustration that a dropping connection can cause, I had one myself a few months back. However intermittent connections are very unlikely to be caused by the ISP, it is more often the line itself causing the problem or something causing interference.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Random disconnects?

Its good to know I'm not alone. My connection is very hit and miss at the moment, more miss. Tonight it has repeatedly disconnected. If I leave it running overnight it has normally disconnected by the time I get up. Am at the point where I've had enough now.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Random disconnects?

Hi,

When your connection drops do you know if it's losing sync (usually indicated by a flashing ADSL light)?

If so I'd suggest taking a look through this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything helps and it not raise a fault via our fault checker on the left under connection settings and we can run some remote testing to try and find out what's wrong.
N/A

Random disconnects?

Thanks for the response Dave, sadly stable is not what I would call my connection. As the title of this thread suggests it'll be totally random and I can even go several hours without seeing any problems, then, just when I begin to think the problems have ceased, they return Sad

The problem I have with this is that I've carried out all the checks, but then how do I know BT will find anything wrong with my line? What if they don't find anything and charge me for the pleasure of finding nothing? This won't fix my problem and I'm not in the habit of being 'The boy who cried wolf' though I'm sure you know this. Really this is more a case of the fact that I don't trust you or BT to come up with anything, due to months of being told that there's nothing wrong and it must be my fault. Yet when you opened your new central last month my problems with speed, shockingly cleared up. whether you or BT find anything or not, I am having problems with my connection, that as far as I am aware are not being caused by me or any of the hardware I am using Sad
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Random disconnects?

We can raise it to BT as an intermittent fault, this means that even if our original tests don't show a problem we can check the connection logs and see if it is still randomly dropping.
Best thing is to go through the faults checker, performing any tests it asks and then we can do our testing from here before this is even raised to BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Random disconnects?

i have requested this be escalated to BT for further investigation. As a side note after checking my router logs there is near constant "loss of synchronization" without it saying there's an error. I have also noticed that after every loss of sync my router's sync speed changes, going from anywhere between 6500 and 7400kbps. i mentioned that having given this some thought it could be possible that the problem is due to my line itself, due to being rural and having the phone lines on overhead telegraph cables.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Random disconnects?

It has been raised to BT, we are waiting for their comments back before informing you of the next steps. Keep an eye on the fault ticket in the My Questions section of the member centre.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team