cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects

N/A

Random disconnects

Shocked It was too good to last. For the previous couple of days my ADSL connection has been dropping it's connection every five minutes, particularly when playing on-line Sad
A bit frustrating.
Is there a log for the Binatone 500 usb modem I can check to find out the reason? I'm running XP on AMD 2000+.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES
N/A

Random disconnects

mine has been fine for the last few months, then since yesterday:

Connected for 2 mins, disconnected.

Rinse and repeat. Sad
N/A

Random disconnects

Grrrrr can i have the net for more than 3 mins at a time !!
N/A

Random disconnects

Try following the Troubleshooting FAQ in the tutorials forum
N/A

Random disconnects

sounds like its your modem, i had this exactly same problem a while ago, i raised a ticket, they asked me to send the modem away BEFORE they can send me the new one which mean i'll have no internet connection for a week.

i decided to purchase a nice adsl router, the probem disappeared!!!!!

i cant live with internet, i LOVE internet :lol:
N/A

Random disconnects

Good decision.

It seems to me that, if there's going to be trouble with an ADSL connection, it's odds-on that it's going to be down to those darned Binatone USB modems.

IMHO, PlusNet should drop them. More trouble than they're worth.
N/A

Random disconnects

I know what you mean - I never trusted usb anyways....

It only happens when I'm playing on-line, never for surfing... maybe this is because it's checking the connection more often every time it is using it. Not sure - I just need some CAT5 in my house for fun now.
N/A

Random disconnects

Why not go wireless? Better than having to install all that cable, surely?
N/A

Random disconnects

It only happens when I'm playing on-line, never for surfing....

That tends to indicate a power supply issue, more load is put on the PSU when playing games than surfing.
The PSU then struggles to supply the USB and down goes your connection.
N/A

Random disconnects

Problem solved. In two moves. I changed to a powered USB hub - sorted!

But I first noticed the problem after installing the latest Windoze security patch for XP (Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (KB832483)).
Moving USBs made sure I re-installed the modem anyway, so I'll never know.

At least is OK now. Shocked
madswitcher
Grafter

Random disconnects

Chaps,

Just to add a bit of hindsight to this discussion. USB modems appear to be a plague: the current limit for a USB device is "about" 500mA. So it comes down to how sensitive your motherboard is about this and how close to the current limit you modem is. Also if you are realy close to the limit and your motherboard is a bit edgy, as you moden warms up, it can take you over the limit and start to act intermittently .

So avoid them if you can, but if you have to, use an externally powered USB hub which will not be so sensitive.

Chers, Mike
Community Veteran

Random disconnects

Just to expand a little on the above, it is the self powered USB modems that tend to have these issues (i.e. the unit gets is power from the USB port rather than a separate power supply). The reason is cost, obviously it is cheaper to power the unit from the PC's USB port than have separate power supply - and it does tend to be the cheaper end of the market that suffers - but not all USB ports are capable of supplying the necessary power, especially as it can only supply 500mA anyway which is not a lot.

This is why in some cases (but not all) an external powered USB hub can produce much better results. But, some USB modems just will not work in a powered hub so this is not always the solution.

The USB power issue is not always the cause, sometimes it is the driver software that is to blame and USB drivers are, from experience more flaky than most, sometimes caused by compatibility issues on the motherboard or in the BIOS and sometimes it is actually other drivers that can cause issues.

However, I always recommend not to use USB for networking, but instead use the more tried and trusted Lan/Ethernet method. This involves fitting a Lan card to the PC (very cheap today) and buying an external router with inbuild ADSL model (often called an ADSL router). This in effect takes away the responsibility of the connection from the PC and moves it to a dedicated unit i.e. the router.

I am sure the support guys at PlusNet (and probably most other ISPs) and many networking people would really like USB powered modems to dissappear and for everyone to start using Lan based connections and external routers. From a cost point of view the lan based products are extreamly cheap now for 1 port versions but I guess it's ease of connection (assuming nothing goes wrong) will mean USB is hear to stay for some time yet.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Random disconnects

I have mention before that some powered USB hubs will do nothing to solve a
power issue to USB modems.
There are two distinct types of powered hubs about, the type is not mentioned in any specification on the packaging as there is no standard to meet.

1/ Voltage pump type - these simply keep the voltage up, allowing you to run longer line lengths than the 10 to 15 meter limit of USB 1.1 . Think of them as being more of a repeater or like your local "electricity sub station". For example, you can use one of these type of hubs every 10 meters if you wanted to run a USB cable to an outside USB Webcam. However, this type will NOT supply any more current. These type also tend to be at the cheaper end of the market from 'unbranded' sources.
2/ Current and Voltage pumps - These types WILL supply more current for any peripheral attached and also allow longer line lengths. Hubs designed for USB 2 tend to be of this type, but there is no guarantee.

For USB modems, it is type 2 that you need.

Intel hubs tend to be of type 2 but are also quite expensive.
N/A

Random disconnects

Thanks guys. It's OK. :roll: Last year I specc'ed £500k of server hardware inc 4 cisco switch cards, 2 Unix based firewalls and did not an insignificant part of the Cat5 myself.... I can install a network adaptor! (luckily my mb already has a Gbit port on it!).

Cheers. I blame the Microsoft patch though. Smiley