cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects everyday for weeks and weeks now

N/A

Hi,
I need some help if possible please. I have been having random disconnects everyday for weeks now! These have been driving me mad, but I have been too busy , and just "hoped" they would go away, but they haven’t Sad

I suppose I can live with it to a degree if I just wanted to surf the net and collect emails etc. But I like to do online racing, and it is totally impossible for me at the moment as I disconnect on every single race. I have had to give up my racing league as the connection just wont last the distance of the race, as I have been disconnected! This happened last night again! Evil

I just have not got a clue as to what could be wrong. I have changed from an ADSL Nation filter to another one of good quality I believe, but still have the problem. I have a Netgear 834PN Router,( I have the latest Firmware V 1.03.30), but I changed back to my Plusnet supplied Voyger modem, but this had the same random disconnects as well.
I have a set of quite old Diverse 4000 DECT Phones, I think they are called. They have been ok since I joined PN 2 years ago, so I don’t think it can be them?

At the worst time, I was getting 20-30 disconnects every day, but it doesn’t cut out quite so often now. Sometimes the PPP link light would go out, and then a few seconds later will light up, and I will be ok again. Other times the Internet light would go off, and that would be it, until I keep clicking on the “Try Again” button in Firefox, which would then after a few seconds re start the connection.

A couple of months ago, I had “ Call Divert” added to my line to route to my mobile, and it seems that this *MIGHT* have started the problems at the same time?? I have disconnects even if Call Divert isn’t on, so I’m not sure if that’s the case.

Any advise please as I really miss my on line racing league!!
Thanks, and what do I do now?
Ben
PS:- UPDATE,MY PPP LINK LIGHT AND INTERNET LIGHT JUST WENT OUT ON MY ROUTER AND ITS TAKEN 2 MINUTES TO GET UP AND RUNNING AGAIN...HELP!!!
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you are losing sync with the exchange which is what it seems to be if the ADSL lamp is going out then I would say that you have a BT line fault.

You can help to eliminate problems with your internal wiring by removing the faceplate from the master socket and connecting directly into the test socket then revealed inside the master one.
This removes everything from the line so eliminates a possible internal wiring fault.

If you are then still having disconnects it may help if you coiuld borrow a router from a friend to prove that it still happens with that.

If after all this you are still seeing problems then you will need to raise the issue with Plusnet support.
N/A

Thanks John,
As stated I re-tried my old Voyger 105 Modem, which had worked perfectly for 18 months, but this had the same random disconnects as well, so it's not the Netger it seems!
Ben
flicker
Grafter

I've recently been having similar problems. Very long story, but BT have been here three times, fault found at the exchange and in my house. They fitted a proper ADSL splitter socket. Still had the same problem. I found it didn't happen if I pulled the phone out of the socket, just had the broadband connected. By a process of elimination, I narrowed it down to my BT phone, which is an ordinary one piece phone, bought new last November. It was disconnecting my broadband virtually every 30 minutes, night and day. So relieved to have got to the bottom of it, as I do online quizzes where speed is of the essence, and don't need to be disconnected in the middle of submitting my answers.

Hope this may help, try unplugging your phone and see if it still happens - I've since tried three other phones, and they are fine, it's just the new one. :?
Community Veteran

By a process of elimination, I narrowed it down to my BT phone, which is an ordinary one piece phone

Using the test socket within the master socket will do exactly the same as I had stated that it will remove everything else from the line. Wiring, telephones the lot.
sam
Grafter

Hi Ben07,

Random disconnections are the hardest type of fault to diagnose and it can often be the smallest things that can cause the problems.

I would advise following johnessex's advise about trying the connection in the test socket and I would also try checking the phones by physically unplugging them from the power to rule them out as the cause of the problem as advised by dollydoolittle.

If none of the above cures the problem then I would advise completing the fault checker on your account so that we can have a look and run some line tests.
BenG
Grafter

Hi I had the same sort of problem some weeks back. With that my router will disconnect and reconnect and then about 40 seconds later disconnect.

I do not know if this will help. Try powering down the router do not reboot it just pull the plug-out wait about 30 seconds and put it back in. I know for me that does sort of fix it.

And I was reading that net gear do have some issues with there routers. Or you could try updating your firmware,
N/A

similar problem here

I have been experiencing disconnections for about 4 weeks now - around 10-20 per day and seemingly totally random.
Although I have not done anything different or changed any equipment I will try the things suggested here to see if anything helps (before blaming plusnet lol).
Does seem there may be a few of us though, but I will do some testing before I say anything else.
N/A

A long time ago when I first joined Plus net I had a similar problem. Like you I am a gamer and many times my connection would go down in the middle of a game. I change my Modem etc…etc…I used to get hoping mad with Plus Net.

One day I had to move my computer into the spare room. In extending and moving the Telephone socket I noticed a loose wire, not out of the connection just loose. I stripped the wires back and remade the connection.

Have not had a problem since Shockedops: Shockedops: . You never know check telephone line connections are properly made.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's why it is always worth while testing using the test socket behind the master socket. It rules out all internal wiring problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)