cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects?? How many are there of us? Post here.

N/A

My line has been stable for quite sometime now .. and starting last week, my modem showing a very good line attenuation (43dB) and SNR margin (30dB) .. previously LA : 50db & SNR: 17dB .. I didn't do anything (after I spent 100 over pound on new modem & filter) .. I guess Spring does have a big impact on my ADSL line too Smiley
345 REPLIES
N/A

EDIT: Possible solution. Works for me so far anyway Smiley
EDIT2: No it doesn't, loss of synch is back with a vengeance Sad

Go and get AdawareSE. Do a google for it, get it from your favourite D/L site.
install it and let it do a full scan. You'll be surprised what it will find. Clean up

Then go vist this page...
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Use IE to view the page, not Opera.
Get them to do the free online scan.
Make sure the 'autoclean' box is checked.
Scan.
Let it clean up.
I had LOTS of Java stuff in there that needed sorting out.

then post back here if you still get disconnects/loss of synch

I'm 'loss of synch' free for 12 hours now. and that's after 3 weeks (this time) of constant torment.

Mebbe it ain't the solution, mebbe it's some thing BT have done. I dunno.

Yep, I get 'em :=/
Currently on my third ticket for the same problem
. Only thing different with this ticket is that Plus have passed it on to BT who are doing the usual 'we'll have the engineer call you and arrange a visit' thing.

Ok, the purpose of this thread is to let Plus know that these losses of synch are happening to people all over the country, whether it's raining or not, people with a computer right next to the wall socket, people with nothing on the main socket but the computer.
Any time of day or night, computer activity or no computer activity.

I've noticed that there are quite a number of us, all posting our own threads and getting the same advice (which doesn't seem to work BTW) so if we get the numbers together, here, mebbe Plus will see that IT AIN'T US! it's something 'out there'.

No long posts of describing your problems please, we already know what they are Wink
If you could say if your modem is internal or external that would help me in my investigations though Smiley
Just a quick.
" Yep, I get 'em. Totally random.
External USB modem/ or PCI modem"
will suffice.

This is not to diss Plus, who I consider to be the best ISP I have ever used (apart from this Wink )

Thanks for your time.
EDIT:
Currently affected:
Stewie *possibly cured by using the above^ method)
extreme17
dallse
chamone
hipshaker
gadgetboy
molszewski
keithcalder
delphwynd *solved by the use of an RF3 filter, fitted by BT* good result Smiley
pruitt
nineteenfortyone
kid78
tackleout
tenacious
keithkelvin
maclarty
flipside
penthouse12
nwaterworth

----------
Harvested from page 1 of the forum:
thedownesfamily
dazharvey
rayner800

----------

Interesting.
Happens to both internal and external modems/routers.
Also, it's a very small percentage of what I assume to be thousands of satisfied Plus customers.

As for me...
BT is now firmly on the case. They are going to directly monitor my line for loss of synch during the next 9 days.
I know that they are 300% rooting for me because they had 3 separate guys call me up and ask me the same questions (before passing my info on the the CORRECT department, whom I haven't heard from YET!)
Ahh, gotta love BT eh?
Bastards
Still, mustn't grumble :roll: Cheesy

EDIT: AFter 9 days of monitoring my connection Bt said that all my losses of synch were 'user initiated'.
I.E. I shut my machine off or disconnected by choice.
Yeah riiiight. Thanks for that BT, helped me a whole lot :roll:

Edit:
I took out my PCI modem and installed a BT Voyager 100 USB
I thought I'd cracked the prob, had 25 minutes online without a loss if sync. 25 minutes is all it took for 'em to start up again. Sad
But now I also get 'em when clicking on links *snaps fingers) just like that. Not all links or webpages, just some. Gonna read the FAQ again.
N/A

i get the disconnects .... randomly .... external usb modem.

however, i've just connected using old dial up on bt click. it is faster than my new 2mb and stays connected. does this mean that it is not a fault with my line or is it still possible that it is a line problem? i ask because bt are scheduled to come out on wednesday.
N/A

Yep mine connection has been disconnecting for the last week, it normally hapens once during the night and once during day. It normally happens when I'm not using it, but my router records the fact in the logs.

Aaron
N/A

same here. external usb modem

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it was just a copy of the preceding post and not needed.
keithcalder
Grafter

same here, infact it happened just now, I use Netgear 834g router.
N/A

There are four basic types of fault you can get on your line, only some of which can be attributed to PlusNet.

The myth is that PlusNet can correct these problems, and people feel they are perminantly passing the buck to BT on these issues. Some people feels PlusNet should do more to investigate there problems.

The only flaw in that theory is, for PlusNet to investigate, they have little choice but to pass the buck.

Who owns what

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/

On that page, there are 9 pictured steps. Imagine that "Transit to ISP" comes before "Home gateway" with PlusNet though.

Steps 1, 2 & 3 (PC, Modem/router & Micro-filter/splitter) are owned by you, for thepurpose of this message, we will call this "your equipment".

Steps 4, 5, 6 & 7 (Local loop, Local exchange, BT ATM network & "transit to ISP") are owned by BT.

Steps 8 & 9 (Home gateway/Your ISP & rest of internet) are owned by PlusNet.

PlusNet only have the internal powers to investigate the PlusNet portion. They can advise you on how to check your own, but as you may note from the notes below, they have to pass the buck to BT for investigation of other problems.

The types of problems

As noted above, there are 4 commons types of problem.

[list=1]
  • Syncronisation problems

ADSL lines need to syncronise there signals with the exchange, so they are talking at the correct time and in the correct language.

On poor quality lines, or for other reasons, syncronisation may be lost. In many instances, this is signified by a light going out on your hardware.

The cause of this can only be the BT Network and your own equipment.

• Disconnections

Disconections are not quite as sevear as syncronisation problems. They occur when the link within the syncronisation fails, due to high errors or failed data transfer.

Most of these would be caused by your own equipment or the BT network. There are however a few instances where this can be caused by PlusNet, but there would be far more reports (in the region of 4000) if this was the case.

• High errors

Few each single error, there is a data block lost. This can cause slow downloads (downloads can recover missing data). However, gaming and webpage lookup can be affected greatly, due to the way they operate (the connections don't have the ability to recover).

Errors are on what is known as the ATM level. Thus,c an only be caused by your own equiopment, your line or the exchange equopment. Errors are not possible from PlusNets equipment.

• Slow downloads

Where none of the above is your catagory, but you get slow speeds, then this is likely yours.

This is the only catagory where PlusNet can have any real blame. There are however BT aspects to this too, same buck passing can and will take place.
    [/listShocked]

Current situation

AT this moment in time, BT are know to be having a very high volume of callouts regarding these sorts of problems. THis is why things are so delayed.

This is because any BT callouts have to be shared between ISPs and not just PlusNet customers. That is over 2 millions ADSL customers.

BT can performs tests at your house. If they get online on there own equipment, without trouble, then your own equipment, wiring and fitlers are to blame.

If they can't get on, then they investigate. The inability to get on, usualy signifies a poor quality line however.

What can we do

Easy. Follow the advice of PlusNet, and complete the diagnostic tests they ask you to, even if it means performing this several times (things change).

The basic fault diagnostics steps are

[list=1]
  • Check to make sure you have the latest drivers and/or firmware
  • Check your computer and phone connections connections
  • Check your filters making sure all devices including sky, phones, alarms, wireless phone, caller ID and aswer phones are filtered. Some people say you don't need them. Unless your are willing to check, then you have little to blame on anybody else
  • Disconnect all devices in the house, and try again
  • Try connecting your modem to the test socket behind the face-plate of your master-socket (this confirms all devices are disconnected)
  • Try borowing equipment to do these tests with. If needed, Argos do a great returns policy on hardware
    [/listShocked]

If all of the above fail, then your equipment isn not at fault. It hangs solely on PlusNet or the BT side of things.

My guessing in most cases is BT or a low quality line.
  • N/A

Hi stewie,

Getting the same for over 3 weeks now - Mac OSX, External Speedtouch USB. Tickets raised and raised again and at the 'passed to BT' stage too.

You can see a COMPLETE record of what I've been experiencing over at "Frog Watching". I'm also interested to see how many are being cursed with these disconnects, especially at peak times...

Brian

Cheesy UPDATE

I think my problem has been solved.

See my next post
    on page three of this thread
    N/A

I'm not looking to blame anyway, and I'm not going to raise a ticket about it. The number of disconnections I get has risen since my connection was upgraded to 1Mb, where as when it 512K, I'd get 1 disconnection ever few months.

I'm not overly concerned by it, as 90% of the time it happens when I'm not around. It has happened a few times when I'm using the connection, but normally when I'm downloading a large file, which suggests that the upgrade has pushed the line close to it maximum. The extra data justs pushes it over the edge.

I don't think it's the setup, since I've not changed anything for about 8 months, and it was fine before the upgrade. It's probably the line quality and the distance from the exchange.

Aaron
    N/A

One thing is missing in this discussion - the number of USB devices connected to the PC. A broadband modem draws 500 mA of power (current).

That is normally the total available per hub. If you have, say, a keyboard connected to the 2nd port of the same hub, that will draw 400mA.

So you can see the modem will not be getting enough power. Voilà! Dropouts.

You can view the status of your arrangement in Device Manager.
    N/A

Yep, I/we know that it's prolly not Plus' fault, but it sure as s*** isn't ours, or is it?
    My setup didn't change but this loss of synch still started happening. Quite suddenly too.
    I too have reached the 'passed to BT' phase after raising the third ticket over 6 months for the same thing.
    Oh, I got a nice call from a BT trooper saying he'd get an engineer to call me and arrange a visit. No call.
    Apparently the BT ticket has timed out now, a week later, Plus has now re-raised the BT ticket Roll eyes

grahamdeepwell
    Yep, I think we've been there with the power thing.
    Besides, mine is a PCI modem with a 450w power supply in the machine.
    N/A

There are four basic types of fault you can get on your line, only some of which can be attributed to PlusNet.

The myth is that PlusNet can correct these problems, and people feel they are perminantly passing the buck to BT on these issues. Some people feels PlusNet should do more to investigate there problems.

The only flaw in that theory is, for PlusNet to investigate, they have little choice but to pass the buck....

Yep, great, that'll do for me Smiley I understand that.
    It's taken six months for Plus to pass my problem on to BT though, and that's after me raising three tickets for the same problem.
    I think my case was helped somewhat when I called the tech guys a couple of weeks ago...he could hear the constant *click click click click bzzzzzz* *click click click click bzzzzzz* as the modem tried to get synch for the duration of the call Cheesy
    I've had this damned problem since Christmas, it drives me nuts when it happens, all that has changed on my part is that I'm getting a little more vocal now. Can you blame me?
    N/A

You write that you heard the modem trying to sync whilst on the phone. You should not be hearing that. Can you simulate by breaking dial tone and listening whilst starting broadband?
    N/A

If you can hear modem handshaking sounds on the phone, then either your wiring is setup wrongly, or your have no filters, or they are broken, or finally you've got a faultly line.

Aaron
    N/A

Usually when I get disconnected i'm not around but 2 days ago at 1am I got disconnected while working on computer and when I tried to reconnect I couldn't. On the log screen for the dialup window evrything was showing fine but it could not verify username and password. It was retrying many times and each time it was timing out. Reboot did not help either. After about 40 minutes I did manage to connect for about 10min but then the same thing started happening.