cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Bandwith

Fixes: 115

Radio Bandwith

Hi

Does anyone have any idea as to how much bandwith would be used listening to a radio station on-line?

I'd like to know if listening to a radio station during some peak-time hours every day would push my usage up significantly.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
flyer99
Grafter

Radio Bandwith

From last months usage I used approx 1GB steaming (according to the usage meter) and usually have a radio staion going from 8am-6pm five days a week. That might give you a rough idea but Im sure I had some video streaming in there as well. Also i have noted that since maxdsl I frequently get 2-3 second gaps of silence at toatlly random periods

Nick
shellsong
Grafter

Radio Bandwith

Depends on the station-- a really high quality one can use 256Kbps and clock up usage at quite a rate! You probably wouldn't want to use much less than half that rate though

Around Christmas when Plusnet's constraints hadn't yet taken the victorian corsetry course a member of our household hadn't thought about the effect of listening to online radio on usage and clocked up an estimated 15GB in a month using this medium
Fixes: 115

Radio Bandwith

Thanks - very helpful, indeed.

It seems the best time to listen is when I am out at work or asleep.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Radio Bandwith

LOL
Perhaps there should be some kind of rebate from the license fee if you are listening to BBC radio during peak hours.

Its pretty rubbish that there is so much streamed media out there, which BB internet connectivity is supposed to open up for people, but it seems no matter who you are with, you don't get to take full advantage because of caps, and shaping, and costs, and policies, and the weather, and the price of cod, rant, rant, rant.

more caffeine needed, must calm down