cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REN and Sky

N/A

REN and Sky

Hey,

I have a problem... I ordered Sky for the household (Sky + Multiroom... which makes matters worse as i'll explain later) and after I ordered it, I remembered about REN.. and my stomach turned...

Basically I have a ADSL Router and 2 Phones (one corded, one cordless) at the moment which if my reasoning is right is a REN of 3 (Although I can't find a REN on the router).

When Sky is installed as there are two boxes, I will need to connect both to the phone line, and because it is multiroom, sky check more often if the boxes are connected (to stop you letting your friend down the road get the high packages for £10 a month). If my workings out are correct that means a REN of 5... which is over the limit of 4.

Does a router count towards the REN, as surely it doesn't draw power from the line (as it's powered)? If it does what do you think I could do (obviously removing a phone is a last resort) to fix this, any way of boosting the support of REN or anything?

Thanks All
Brett
9 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

REN and Sky

I have the same setup as you. I have a Netgear DG834G, Sky+ Box, Multiroom Box, Corded Phone and 3 Cordless Phones (with 1 Connected Base Station).

All works fine, and none make a difference to my line stats.
N/A

REN and Sky

Nice coincidence that you use the same router as me, so I should be fine then... Thanks for your help Cheesy

Seeing as i'm here, can I just check.. do Sky provide line splitters, I'd assume they would but thought i'd check just in case...

Thanks a lot.
Brett
Rich
Grafter

REN and Sky

REN = 7 (3 phones, 2 modems, caller id box and adsl router) and no problems here!
LiamM
Grafter

REN and Sky

Seeing as i'm here, can I just check.. do Sky provide line splitters, I'd assume they would but thought i'd check just in case...

Actually you're wrong there. They don't.

I took advantage of the offer whereby I bought a Sky+ box, and they moved my existing box up to the bedroom for the multiroom.

I was expecting them to come with filters too. They turned up to install the boxes and had to go away again because they wouldn't do the work without the phone lines being correctly connected, so I had to go out, buy a filter, and wait another week and a half for them to come back.
N/A

REN and Sky

cheepskates
N/A

REN and Sky

The last Sky Engineer that came out to sort a problem did seem to know what he was going on about. You only get problems with Sky installs when Sky send one of the cowboy contractors round to do the install. When i got Sky+ installed the first set of engineers refused to install the system because of the yellow lines outside the house, even when my dad said he'd pay the fine there and then if they got one.
The next one who came round was slighty better, he just blew the brick work by not turning off the hammer action on his drill :roll:
Sky's customer service is something i try and avoid if i can.
Community Veteran

REN and Sky

Basically I have a ADSL Router and 2 Phones (one corded, one cordless) at the moment which if my reasoning is right is a REN of 3 (Although I can't find a REN on the router).

Most ADSL modems don't have a REN number as they never ring, and even if they do has a REN value it's something like 0.1 or 0.01. Basically you can discount any ADSL modems from your REN total. So in your case your total REN is 2 not 3.

A REN of 4 is what BT recommend, above this and some phones don't ring.

Things like faxes, 56K dialup modems and sky boxes will all have a REN values and it will be listed on the main label (usually underneath the phone/box). A DECT phone usually has a REN of one, regardless of the number of cordless phones as it's the base station that connects to the phone line. All of these need to be filtered from ADSL.

Also you may need good quality filters for your DECT phones as some of the cheaper filters don't work well with them. The same goes for some sky boxes. I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter.
N/A

REN and Sky

Thanks guys for your help... much appriciated..

But I thought that Sky would provide a basic line splitter (Cause surely most people will have 1 phone connected in?) - Problem is I have a phone in the microfilter upstairs and obviously sky needs to be connected as well.. if worst comes to worst i'll disconnect the phone and let sky take over until I get a splitter

Anyway thanks guys Cheesy
janitor
Grafter

REN and Sky

when i had my sky connected they needed to fit an extension as the phone lead didnt reach the phone socket, the end of the extension allows you to plug the phone into the back of it so you shouldnt need a splitter