Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REN Ratings

dsmail
Grafter

REN Ratings

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum for starters. Sharing with my adsl, I have 3 phones and an answering machine on a standard domestic setup where it all works fine. One of my phones is a cordless GAP compatible type and I want to add another extension to this phone. My only problem is that if this extra phone (unpurchased as yet) has a REN rating of 1 or more, then my total REN will shoot up to 5 when 4 is the limit. Do most gap compatible base stations only count as REN 1 no matter how many phones are registered to the base station, or does each extension phone normally carry a REN rating of it's own. Not been able to find this info on web. Perhaps it varies from make to make. I have a BT Verve 3010 and I want to add / register another to the existing base station. Will my REN be increased.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
3 REPLIES
wandelaar
Grafter

REN Ratings

Hi,

Yes it is the base station for the cordless phones that the BT network 'sees', and most have a REN of 1.

Beware if you use a wireless network that it is not unknown for dect phones to upset the network as they share a common or similar radio frequency.

Hope this helps.

regards

Dave
N/A

REN Ratings

REN is a property of the phone line, rather than anything wireless. It signifies how much power a phone set draws to make it ring, in an easy to count number.

They only count towards phyicaly attached devices.

In otherwords, only the base-station counts towards the REN value. You can have as many cordless attachments, as the base-station allows.
dsmail
Grafter

REN Ratings

Thanks for your detailed replies. That's exactly the info I needed.

Dave