cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Level3 probs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Taking this from the announcement that they are a bandwidth provider to PN and doing some work tomorrow, so if and when I have problems with them:

1. Should I be contacting them as most email address's available via a whois lookup fail and get returned
2. Or should I be contacting you, who then passes the info along
3. or both
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
2 REPLIES
N/A

Your best bet is both.

The problem over at level 3 is external to the +Net network and interchanges. IE, the connection between the +Net and Level 3 equipment is not at issue, but the next step (or steps).

If mail is being bounced from these addresses, it is a bad thing. While it is understandable the reasons. These should be raised via official channels, which usualy mean, you contact your ISP, who contact there ISP.

It eventualy traverses the food chain, provided one of them decides not to bother.

From what I hear, the issues have been known about (at least reported), for a considerable amount of time. It is only within th past few weeks that major and wipespread problems have been seen.

Half the issue is isolating the problem, and proving it is there.

It may well be that one user can produce traceroute output shoing bad issue, however, as you may have seen on these very forums, USB modem users can show dismal routing pings, where routers and PCI modems may not.

These issues need to be repplicated, or at least enough data collected from them, show show clear signs on where a ISP should be looking.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well they affect a game server I admin, as most people are routed via level3 to it. So I am following this with interest.

Last night was particulary bad, with cheats causing lag plus level3 near enough stopping all traffic to it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017