cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDNS

N/A

RDNS

i have a domain (circlehosting.net) and i want to use a subdomain for rdns (edward.circlehosting.net) can i do it by just adding a A record, because i obviosly cant change the nameservers as there are 4 webservers dependednt on it
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: RDNS

i have a domain (circlehosting.net) and i want to use a subdomain for rdns (edward.circlehosting.net) can i do it by just adding a A record, because i obviosly cant change the nameservers as there are 4 webservers dependednt on it

What exactly are you trying to do. It sounds like you want a dns a record to create a virtual server in apache, or just to give a machine a logical name.

DNS is where you associate the name with the number. IE typing www.plus.net and IE finding the IP address to bring the page up.

rDNS is where you associate the number with a name. IE if you are setting up a server eg FTP, you might want to know hostname and where someone is from in your logs. so for example if 192.168.1.2 connected to your FTP server your machine would issue a rDNS request to the DNS server responsible for those IPs and might give you the name host.domain.com in your logs.
N/A

RDNS

i want to setup RDNS for my IP with plusnet, thats all i want, so i can use edwardw.circlehosting.net as my "identifier" and instead of whiteley10.plus.net
N/A

RDNS

i want to setup RDNS for my IP with plusnet, thats all i want, so i can use edwardw.circlehosting.net as my "identifier" and instead of whiteley10.plus.net

Ahhh gotcha, its in the wizard at contact us and raise a new ticket if you select the technical support option, you will have to make sure you have the corresponding A record in place on the DNS, You have to have the records set on both the forward and reverse for that to work.
N/A

RDNS

Ok, thanks Smiley
Shoulc be with plusnet on friday Cheesy