cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RADSL Upload speed?

N/A

RADSL Upload speed?

Reading between the lines PlusNet only supply RADSL and not true ADSL. I believe the upload speed of RADSL is max 64K and that this is contended - shared with up to 50 users. This would give, at worst, an upload speed of just over 1k.

Does anybody know the facts as I can find nothing on the PlusNet website about it.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
benoh
Grafter

RE: RADSL Upload speed?

> Reading between the lines PlusNet only supply RADSL and not true ADSL. I believe the upload speed of RADSL is max 64K and that this is contended - shared with up to 50 users. This would give, at worst, an upload speed of just over 1k.
>
> Does anybody know the facts as I can find nothing on the PlusNet website about it.
>
> Thanks

All ADSL is the UK is now RADSL, i.e, if you order it and are under 3.5km from the exchange you get gaurenteed 256k upload, if you are over 3.5 bu under 5.5 then you get RADSL which will give you upload speed of upto 256k but this maybe variable depending on line conditions and distance from the exchange.

Ben O'Hara
Network Support Analyst
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.
N/A

> > Reading between the lines PlusNet only supply RADSL and not true ADSL. I believe the upload speed of RADSL is max 64K and that this is contended - shared with up to 50 users. This would give, at worst, an upload speed of just over 1k.
> >
> > Does anybody know the facts as I can find nothing on the PlusNet website about it.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> All ADSL in the UK is now RADSL, i.e, if you order it and are under 3.5km from the exchange you get gaurenteed 256k upload, if you are over 3.5 but under 5.5 then you get RADSL which will give you upload speed of upto 256k but this maybe variable depending on line conditions and distance from the exchange.
>
> Ben O'Hara
> Network Support Analyst
> Plusnet Technologies Ltd.

Thanks Ben,

Is there a BT document you can point me to so I can see this confirmed by them please. I have been given so much conflicting info that I would like to see it in writing before I commit to an upgrade. Customers can be so fussy :-) I am really only worried by the previously (elsewhere) quoted 64K upload speed of RADSL, is this guaranteed minimum speed - assuming everybody else is also uploading?

Thanks

Firejack
Grafter

If it reassures you Andy.... I get pretty much the full 256Kbit/sec upload speed whenever I've tested it Smiley
I suppose if I monitored the upload bandwidth of my connection closely I may see a slightly slower speed but honestly I don't see that ever being the case. There seems to be so much free bandwidth on the PlusNet network you will get whatever speed is the maximum for your line, 64-256Kbits/sec depending on your line condition/ distance from your telephone exchange.

Later,

Andrew.
jberry
Grafter

> Is there a BT document you can point me to so I can see this confirmed by them please.

Hi Andrew,

I can not provide the full BT specification document as it is for service providers only but below is an extract from the document released along with the original RADSL trial:

"A 500kbps End User speed option will support Rate Adaptive capability which increases geographical coverage from an average of 75% to 95% per local exchange area by automatically optimising the upstream speed from a maximum of 256k down to a minimum of 64k."

I can assure you that this applies to all RADSL and as yet we have no complaints about upload speed due to this.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical and Customer Support.........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

Thanks everybody for your help, I am now a happy bunny.

Andy

> > Is there a BT document you can point me to so I can see this confirmed by them please.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I can not provide the full BT specification document as it is for service providers only but below is an extract from the document released along with the original RADSL trial:
>
> "A 500kbps End User speed option will support Rate Adaptive capability which increases geographical coverage from an average of 75% to 95% per local exchange area by automatically optimising the upstream speed from a maximum of 256k down to a minimum of 64k."
>
> I can assure you that this applies to all RADSL and as yet we have no complaints about upload speed due to this.
>
> Regards
>
> Josh
> --
> | Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical and Customer Support.........for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
>