cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick one

trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6976 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2338 kbps

My connection now appears to be stable @ 2500kbs (Long Story), stable rate according to BT, but if my router is syncing with the exchange @ 7000kbs should I not be able to achieve at least 6000kbs throughput.
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Quick one

If your router consistently syncs at 7000 for 3-5 days then the profile will increase accordingly. 1 poor sync during this period can reset the 3 day time though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

This is the problem, after going max dsl 10/10/2006 I’ve never had speeds faster than 2.5meg, then about 3 weeks ago it just went down to dial up speed, got a new router (netgear dg834gt) which in all fairness has stabilized the connection but just won’t give me faster speeds. Tickets have been raised & the support team is been quite good at keeping me informed as to the progress of everything.
Trouble is I live less than a mile away from the exchange & I’ve seen a friend’s connection on a different ISP whose speeds are 14meg download 1 meg upload he also lives less than a mile from the exchange. I totally understand something is not right here but nobody seems to know what it is, anybody else experience anything like this? Did you resolve it?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quick one

Looking down the fault ticket on your account it appears the DSL connection rate is verying from just over 3000 to 6500, this is why the profile is set at 2500.
I would advise keeping an eye on the sync speed in your router, this is highly likely to be dropping to around 3000 which would cause the IP profile to be at 2500.
Going back to the start of the month the sync speed dropped right down to 160k. This indicates either something amiss with your internal wiring or something along the line from your house to the exchange causing the problem.
Have you tried leaving the router plugged into the master socket with a different filter and ensured that you are not using an extension lead?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

The router is in the master socket & has been for 2 weeks now, I’ve heard about filter problems, just using the one that came with the router, open to any ideas, al try a different one & just see if it helps.
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 6976 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

This is what the stats are at the moment.
chrisc
Grafter

Quick one

Try a different filter and try with all other devices removed from the telephone line when you are plugged in the master socket. This will hopefully rule out any problems from your end that could be causing the sync to drop as it has been doing.

If the sync rate stays stable then your throughput speeds will increase.
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 7232 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Well just look at that, a different filter & the sync speed has jumped by 200kbs is that a coincidence.
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7232 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2250 kbps

Can Plusnet reset the IP profile or is this set every 3 days by the exchange?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quick one

The IP profile is set by the BT equipment at the exchange, it looks like the new filter has helped the sync speed, let's hope that it keeps it stable now.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

Could it be the alarm
Everything else seems to be ok.

IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7008 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5331 kbps

This is starting to look alot better on paper, but still not getting more that 2meg on any speed test ive tried.

Just spoke to the alarm co. thay are coming out tomorrow 4.30pm to add a filter to the alarm, cant help but think it is this thats stealing the bandwidth.

Any one got any thoughts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quick one

If the alarm is phoning out and it isn't filtered then that is your problem.
That's one advantage of a filtered faceplate - it automatically filters everything.
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

No, think he hard wired it into the back of the master socket, but it only phones out if the alarm is triggered, so i was thinking because it is wired into the back with no filter its screwing the hole connection. Just a thought, im no expert could be something else completely unrelated.
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

Just found this bit of useful info.

The Trouble With Hardwired Autodialer Alarms
The alarm should ideally be wired directly to the master socket as a normal extension, although there's no real functional problem if it's hardwired to a secondary extension point elsewhere. This means that it's connected to the BT Exchange Line on YOUR side of the master socket. This is VERY important.

Unfortunately, some alarm installers appear to think it's "ok" to hardwire the alarm connections onto the BACK of the NTE5 box, effectively directly onto the BT Exchange Line, and bypassing the all-important master line box which marks the official demarcation point between you and the public telephone network. This practice is bluntly inexcusable.

FIRST it's illegal. YOU are responsible for what's effectively tampering with your BT line, not your alarm company - so YOU are liable.

SECOND it means that a BT engineer is unable to make a completely uncontaminated test on the exchange line via the test socket in the NTE5 unit - which is the whole point of the NTE5 type unit!

And then we have...
THIRD It means that no amount of microfilters or master box adaptors is any use for filtering your alarm if you choose to have ADSL. Without filters there IS an incompatibility because the alarm and ADSL will pi$$ each other off no end.

So, given that BT has no way to be sure if your alarm is properly or illegally installed, it's our feeling that they're quite right to take the blanket approach and tell consumers that wired alarms and ADSL is incompatible. Imagine the AMOUNT of hassle they'd get if they told you it was compatible, and it turned out that YOU have an illegal alarm installation - because for starters none of their technical support helpdesk people are going to be able to diagnose the problem. But you know as well as I do that Johnny Consumer would proceed to BLAME BT or the ISP for the dropped connections that would ensue, or when the alarm failed to alert the control center...

Somebodys gonna get it tomorrow.

The rest of this topic here
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_and_alarms.htm
trexalan
Grafter

Quick one

Just to give everyone an update, the problem may be sorted.
Had the alarm checked but it was already filtered, plus net sent me a new router (bt1800hg) which set up first time no problems, (just print off the online tutorial). Any way the connection seems to have stabilized but still wasn’t getting any more the 2meg download even though I was syncing with the exchange @ about 7meg then I saw this http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55579
In this post it tells you to try here.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Well tried it & just seen 5meg download for the first time since going max back in october.

Post back if it works for you.

Click the as seen on TV link on the right hand side & listen to the nice American lady, it seems to have worked on my setup, I clicked on the optimal performance option.