cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Self Install and a couple of others

N/A

Questions on Self Install and a couple of others

Hiya

With my exchange (Heath Hayes) having passed its target I'm considering getting ADSL for a number of reasons. Partly because its cheaper than getting a second phoneline + internet account, and mainly because having spent my final year at university on an East Midlands Broadband Consortium connection getting downloads of 250k/sec, coming back home to dialup was a bit of a steep drop, so ADSL is a nice compromise.

Anyway, not knowing much about the actual kit i'll need and the process of instaling it, i've a couple of questions

Firstly, can the ADSL cope with being split by those telephone socket doubler things? At the moment, from the telephone socket i use to connect to the web there is a Telecom Plus 'piggy' attached, then a splitter containing the connection to my room and to the phone in the study (I couldn't put the doubler as the first thing in the connection as if the piggy doesn't have the telephone which made the call behind it, it likes to make a hell of a lot of noise and prevent me from dialing up to the web)

With me so far? Thought not!

Secondly, I've heard a lot of negative things about using a USB modem. As i'm on a 2 and-a-half year old Sony Vaio laptop I can't use the PCI Modem, so is it worth paying the little bit extra and getting a router? Is that even a viable solution?

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

Adam
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Questions on Self Install and a couple of others

The answer is maybe !!! a good quality splitter would help but better to attach to the back of the BT socket and run the splitter at the other end otherwise no telephone calls can be received in your room and remeber that all other telephone audio devices will have to have a splitter 2
Othwise they may screw up youre connection and also be poor on the telephone

Jim

--
very funny Mr Spock ! Now beam me down my clothes !
N/A

I use a simple telephone splitter that divides the line into two. One of the outputs has a filter and a phone attached, the other has an extension to my pc. At the end of the extension I have another filter and the PC connected. As well as this I have another socket connected by running a wire from the back of the master socket. A filter and phone are connected to the other socket. All this works fine.

What I do know is that the smaller DIY extension sockets dont work, because they dont make us of all the wires that normal sockets use, just 2 infact, which is sufficient for voice and dial up, but doesn't work for adsl, at least not for me.

Hope some of this helps.

N/A

Cheers for getting back to me so quickly

Adam
N/A

got 2 splitters 20ft extension a slow pc n stil getting 470/235

Community Veteran

Adam

There is a lot of confusion around with splitters and filters etc.

I hope this will make it clearer.
What needs to be done is to seperate the incoming phone line into two components. One of these for the telephones and the other for the ADSL to the modem or router.

You can do this in a couple of ways.
The simplest but perhaps more expensive way is to plug a splitter into every phone socket that has a telephone on it and then take your ADSL output from one of these splitters.
This has the disadvantage of needing several splitters if you have multiple phones.

The other way is to use just one splitter and use the low frequency output of that to feed ALL the telephone system in the house. This way every phone is isolated from you ADSL components.
Disadvantage to this is seperating the wiring if your phone system is hard wired.
The important thing is that EVERY phone is fed via a splitter.

With regard to USB or or Router?
I used to have a USB modem and it was fine but it was limited in that I could only easily have 1 PC connected to it. For the same money you can get a 4 port router which works as a network hub and will allow 4 PCs to be connected easily, all using the same ADSL connection.
Add other hubs and you could have up to 254 more if you felt so inclined!!

Hope the above helps
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Hi adam
my system goes like this..WindowsME....

Master phone socket/3 way adapter/extension to bedroom/splitter/phone-computer...back down stairs? from another socket on the 3 way adaptor/2 way adaptor/telephone-satelite? this leaves an unused socket on the 3 way adaptor..remember not to overload the REM figure.ie the amount of comms devices!

Also the next best option....remove the BT face plate on the master socket and replace with an ADSL plate. Plug all existing systems in the phone socket and plug the computer into the adsl socket.. I`ve just purchased a cable (15Mts) with two modem plugs fitted you could run this to your computer!! mine is all at the back of the computerHuh??all 15 mtrs??
still works ok
ps Modem PCI ADSL £34.99
Splitters £4.90 each
Extension cable£4.95
plus the monthly rental of £28.38 for my FREE ACTIVATION accountHuhHuhHuh?something tells me its not free for the first 12 months!!!

This works for me and no probs as yet?

PCI modem supposed to be faster than USB.is also cheaper for self install(make sure you use WAN drivers)

Hope this helps in making up your mind......

> Hiya
>
> With my exchange (Heath Hayes) having passed its target I'm considering getting ADSL for a number of reasons. Partly because its cheaper than getting a second phoneline + internet account, and mainly because having spent my final year at university on an East Midlands Broadband Consortium connection getting downloads of 250k/sec, coming back home to dialup was a bit of a steep drop, so ADSL is a nice compromise.
>
> Anyway, not knowing much about the actual kit i'll need and the process of instaling it, i've a couple of questions
>
> Firstly, can the ADSL cope with being split by those telephone socket doubler things? At the moment, from the telephone socket i use to connect to the web there is a Telecom Plus 'piggy' attached, then a splitter containing the connection to my room and to the phone in the study (I couldn't put the doubler as the first thing in the connection as if the piggy doesn't have the telephone which made the call behind it, it likes to make a hell of a lot of noise and prevent me from dialing up to the web)
>
> With me so far? Thought not!
>
> Secondly, I've heard a lot of negative things about using a USB modem. As i'm on a 2 and-a-half year old Sony Vaio laptop I can't use the PCI Modem, so is it worth paying the little bit extra and getting a router? Is that even a viable solution?
>
>
> Hope someone can help!
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam