cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the 1mb service, for a uni student n my mum!

dagriffin
Dabbler

Hey people :-)
Ive been a happy PlusNet customer for 12 months now with 512k easystart for 25 quid a month. Im off to uni next week but Ill be home for 20 weeks a year or so (not bad huh!) so I wish to keep adsl.
I figured I may as well change to 1mb annual contract) as it is the same price £14.99 a month... which is cool cuz my mum only e-mails like once a week so she will be fine on that whilst keeping it cheap for me whilst Im away. The current package is costing £300 a year so that leaves me with an extra 60 gb when Im at home!
My question is: I know you can change between data tranfer allowances each month - how much in advance do you have to do this and is their a min contract (ie can I have the premier package for just 3 months in the summer, 1 at xmas and 2 at easter or so? Then change back for the 10 weeks Im away..) Would I have to be on the monthly package instead of annual to do this?
I hope I made that clear!
Secondly the automated upgrade thing wouldnt work on the site so I sent PN a ticket thing and I havent heard back yet well over 8 hours later?? It says 6 hours on the site?

Any resposes are welcomed!
Cheers,
~Gaz

ps: The regrade thing should be done before next saturday perhaps so I can test it for my mum before I go on the sunday?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First, when you switch to one of the broadband home packages you should select a monthly contract because Easystart is a monthly contract anyway - it just had a minimum period (12 months) associated with it. As you have already raised a ticket for the regrade, I would request you want to be on a monthly contract. if you opted for an annual one.

You have to give 30 days notice of you wish to change packages within the same ADSL speed - your contract length makes no difference (yet) to this but this may change in the future. However, PlusNet may be introducing a charge to downgrade from premier to one of the inclusve packages (there is no charge to switch from an included package to premier), which is likely to be £14.99. So you may need to take this into account when working out the costs to do what you want to do.

The current package is costing £300 a year so that leaves me with an extra 60 gb when Im at home!

I understand the £300 cost for easystart but I don't understand 'an extra 60gb when I'm at home'. What did you mean by 60gb? You do know you can't carry any unused bandwidth to the next month.

The 6 hours is the average time to close a ticket but this does not mean your ticket will be answered within that time. You will have to be patient as Plusnet have a lot of regrades happening at the same time so they will get to your ticket in the order it was raised. the ADSL provisioning team (who do regrades) do not work weekends.
dagriffin
Dabbler

Hello Smiley Thanks for the reply!
I shall send them another ticket requesting monthly not annual contract then, its worth it for the extra tenner!

Regarding the extra 60 gb, well its £2 per extra gigabyte isnt it on the 1mb package, so as long as I dont go over £120 each year of *extra* gigabytes then It will still be £300 per year, or have I really screwed up the calculations :shock: ?

Regarding the downgrading fee of £15 pounds, hmm well I would have to do that twice / 3 times a year which would make the cost lower or equal to that of what I pay now anyway I think Smiley
Thanks for all your comments, they are very helpful!
Cheers dude
~Gaz
dagriffin
Dabbler

Just a bump Cheesy
~Gaz
Community Veteran

Yes then No to your 2 questions.
dagriffin
Dabbler

Thanks! Just checking!
~Gaz
N/A

would it be possible for plusnet to add a new contract for those at uni, as i am sure a lot of 18 year olds are foced to pay for the net due to the "dial up has done us fine for the last X years" argument put forward by a lot of perants.

The service could be

Customer chooses the account type they want (ie 512 / 1 meg / 2 meg / 50:1 / 20:1) and for the main uni holidays thats what they get and are charged for that service , however when the main uni holidays end, the account is auto downgraded to say a 128kbs with a 2gig limit a month or somfin pittiful for the rest of the family that are still at home to use (and get charged like £10 or somfin)

and yes i know oxbridge get uber long holidays.. they could suffer the lack of the faster net due to being too clever for their own good :p

Buz
Community Veteran

I think it would be a bit impractice at PlusNet's end, how would they know when you are at home and are not? Who would pay the fees for regrading the service each time?

It would be very costly and time consuming.
dagriffin
Dabbler

It may be costly and time consuming but it would suit me perfect :twisted:
~Gaz
N/A

You do know you can't carry any unused bandwidth to the next month.

And therein lies the rub............If the new accounts included this feature there would be more flexibility for the original poster. Other users would also benefit. Customers wouldn't be on constant VMU watch, it would be a fairer system all together.

I know I have raised this idea before and it was shot down as impossible.

However, an ISP will introduce it sooner or later. That will give them an edge over providers who stick to charging you extra even if you go over your limit by a midges.

I predict that this forum will, in the future, receive more and more complaints/ grumbles regarding the present system and the way the cap is administered.

N/A

to ans the question : they could set dates , say between June and august (3 months - covers most if not all uni holidays) you get the speed you want , then from sep - nov u get lame, dec - jan good, etc every time there is a major uni holiday.

and regrade costs, arnt these just infoced by ISPs to make more money? and even if they are not., it wouldnt be changing lines.. it would jsut be uncapping them or however you want to phrase it