cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: upgrading to higher speed

N/A

Question re: upgrading to higher speed

Good to see an announcement made for the new high speed packages.

My question is, I am currently on the 50:1 home 500 service.
If i choose to upgrade, say to the 20:1 home 1000 package, what disruption am i likely to see to my service? hours? days?

Cheers
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Question re: upgrading to higher speed

> Good to see an announcement made for the new high speed packages.
>
> My question is, I am currently on the 50:1 home 500 service.
> If i choose to upgrade, say to the 20:1 home 1000 package, what disruption am i likely to see to my service? hours? days?
>
> Cheers
Hi there,
It's a cease and a reprovide, which wil mean ~5 working days while the new service is reprovisioned.
Kind Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Many thanks for the reply.
A follow up question...

If I remember correctly, other ISPs who started offering 1mb home connections a few weeks ago used a 50:1 contention, whereas yours is 20:1. Aside fom a potentially better service from 20:1, is there a reason why you are not offering the 1mb at 50:1?
If you were to offer it at 50:1, would it have been cheaper, or would different have been negligable ?

Many thanks

Mark McManus

> > Good to see an announcement made for the new high speed packages.
> >
> > My question is, I am currently on the 50:1 home 500 service.
> > If i choose to upgrade, say to the 20:1 home 1000 package, what disruption am i likely to see to my service? hours? days?
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Hi there,
>
> It's a cease and a reprovide, which wil mean ~5 working days while the new service is reprovisioned.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

> Many thanks for the reply.
> A follow up question...
>
> If I remember correctly, other ISPs who started offering 1mb home connections a few weeks ago used a 50:1 contention, whereas yours is 20:1. Aside fom a potentially better service from 20:1, is there a reason why you are not offering the 1mb at 50:1?
> If you were to offer it at 50:1, would it have been cheaper, or would different have been negligable ?

Yes theres a reason, but it's complicated.

This is because of the implentation of IPStream, the BT wholesale product that most ADSL providers resell. Originally we were going to use Datastream (The wholesale product used by Internet Central and others) for our higher speed offerings, however since the recent announcement from BT this is no longer the best way for us to proceed. Datastream needs a third party telco to move the data from the exchange to the ISP, but the wholesale costs for Datastream were not reduced at the same time as IPstream. The advantage of using Datastream is that the configuration of the product is more flexible and would allow for 50:1 1MB connections. The disadvantage is that by having 3 suppliers all dealing with your ADSL connection there is a much higher chance of failure and the product becomes even more difficult to support.

BT Don't offer an IPstream based 50:1 1MB connection yet, although they may in the future. If this becomes feasible for us to offer then we will!

I hope that makes sense. Really, you need to read the articles at www.adslguide.org.uk to get a proper handle on how DSL is implented in the UK.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support