Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for you clever minded people

trescodrucey
Grafter

Hello all,
Got a question for you, as i haven't quite got my head around all the bras talk etc..

Basically, i was on half a meg, got Max'd a few months ago, and now i connect without any disconnections ever at 2496kbps.

But, the maximum i can download at is 180kbps usually, and very so often it randomly jumps to 230kbps

Why does it jump occaisionally? (For a few hours at a time, once a fortnight or something)?

And also, why does this page
http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Show my stable rate to be 8000kbps?

I'd like that, very much so.
Any chance of me getting that?
Or anything i can do to improve my download speed?

You are great.

edit: Maybe this may help?

Connection Speed 2496 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db
Noise Margin 11 db
5 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I would hazard a guess that you are on the Tiscali LLU rather than MaxDSL-- What is your upstream rate? If it's over 488Kbps I would consider the likelyhood greater
trescodrucey
Grafter

UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
shellsong
Grafter

Ah right, it looks like I was wrong and you are probably on MaxDSL after all! Depending on the quality of your line you might be able to achieve a synch rate up to about 4-5 Mbps

I can't think why your Max Stable Rate is on 8000 Kbps, that was the thing that made me wonder whether you were on LLU in the first place because that's the only Stable Rate LLU ever shows. I would have thought it would be showing a lower figure but maybe it will drop and your synch rate will rise given time

As for download speeds there are many things that could cause that like contention at the exchange or on the PlusNet network, traffic management by PN or even quirks of where you're sourcing from or servers in between

When you refer to kbps when talking about downloads do you mean kilobits (kbps) or kilobytes (kBps)? Pardon me for asking but some people seem to use a small 'b' whatever they mean
trescodrucey
Grafter

Ah my apologies, it's kilobytes

Is there anything i could request to resync the line, to try and get a higher speed? Maybe pay that £5 jobby again?

Thank you!
oliverb
Grafter

If those download figures were in kilobytes per second then they seem reasonable for the sync speeds you quote.

For communications purposes you can often assume there are 10 bits in a byte not 8 to compensate for overheads.

MaxDSL is "Rate adaptive" meaning that if your line conditions improve then eventually your data rate will increase. In my opinion the single most effective way to improve your line conditions is to fit a faceplate splitter on your telephone master socket if you have one.