cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about webspace.........

hektorshouse
Grafter

More of a web forum section but that looks dead......

I have uploaded my site to my webspace. I have transferred my domain name in. I can only see the site if I type in the domain name with /home.html on it. How to I get the site to run by just typing in the domain name itself ie. www.mydomain.com instead of www.mydomain.com/home.html

Thanks for any advice.

Adrian
9 REPLIES
N/A

Wouldn't changing home.html to index.html make it appear?
fonejacker
Grafter

The 'everything internet' forum is for posting links and stuff... Perhaps we should expand the remit of the CGI forum to cover general HTML issues?

As ever - Your feedback is needed to help us get this as we all want it!

The answer you've been given to this one sounds about right anyway :lol:
Ianwild
Grafter

PS. Linas Is my Old username... Sorry I was logged in testing something!
Community Veteran

CGI is a bit of a generic term and it does cover more or less everything other than HTML so yes it probably needs changing.

But it would be a shame to see the forum get bogged down with lots of website wizard (yuck) or silly FP problems, when alot of people are using it to discuss mysql etc.

Maybe call it the Real website design forum Smiley
Chris
N/A

It's supposed to be index.html

The first page of any hompages is always index.html(or .htm).
If index.htm then all pages should be .htm ones.
Community Veteran

Re: It's supposed to be index.html

The first page of any hompages is always index.html(or .htm).
If index.htm then all pages should be .htm ones.

It doesn't matter if the other pages are htm or html as long as you reference the links to them properly.
It is tidier though if you have a big site and they are all kept to the same format. Smiley
hektorshouse
Grafter

Thanks All but.......

I have changed the home.html to index.html. In the domain settings I have created a folder for this page and configured the host settings to this directory and then uploaded the site to this directory.

I get Page cannot be found when I type in the web address on Internet Explorer now. I can't even go to the domian address/index.html or home.html if I put that back.

If I use my Plusnet account web name it accesses. Plus Net indicated the domain is transferred in okay.

My previous ISP would access the site with no problems as it is set up.

Any Idea's appreciated.

Adrian
Ianwild
Grafter

Adrian,

Sorry If I missed it, but would you mind posting the domain name? That way there are plenty of people here that might be able to help.

Otherwise, I would suggest you raise a ticket with support who can look at this for you.

Regards,
hektorshouse
Grafter

Strange things happening.........

Whether there was a system fault or a setup transition in configuration changing (alhough this is not stated) the site works now, once I finish the changes being made the world and his neighbour will be informed....

thanks for all advice and help.

Adrian