cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Routers

N/A

Question about Routers

I have always used a DSL-200 modem for my ADSL, it is only after reading some posts here that i hear folk talking about Routers.

If i bought one, would this keep my IP connection on 24/7 without my computer being powered?
and would i also be able to run 2 computers at same time on a Router?

You see the way it is at moment i can only make one connection and sometimes i'd like to check stuff is working (upstreaming) from my pc, so if i was able to connect and listen on another pc this sounds great.

There is also the chance i'm installing an AXIS network camera, which has an internal server, but i'd need a router to keep this working i think?.

Can i do this on my self install 500 package, or do i pay more to use a Router.

Sorry i have no clues about Routers (never seen one) thats why i'm asking!.
--
Jason
=====
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Question about Routers

> If i bought one, would this keep my IP connection on 24/7 without my computer being powered?

Yes.

> and would i also be able to run 2 computers at same time on a Router?

Yes, provided the router has a built-in switch or hub (or you already have a seperate one). I use a single-port router connected to a switch, but routers such as the Netgear 814 and D-Link 504 have switches included.

> Can i do this on my self install 500 package, or do i pay more to use a Router.

Yes you can do it, and it doesn't cost any more.

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]
N/A

Thanks alot Alan for your help.

I'm going to buy a router (soon) probably the D-Link one you mentioned with the 4 hubs on it, i looked at 'action.com' site this morning.
We shall see how it goes.

If i can't work it, i'll just switch back to my modem.

Smiley

--
Jason
=====
N/A

> Thanks alot Alan for your help.

Nae borra.

> I'm going to buy a router (soon) probably the D-Link one you mentioned with the 4 hubs on it

It seems to work well enough. I know someone on F9's ADSL service with one and he seems happy.

> If i can't work it, i'll just switch back to my modem. Smiley

Don't worry, it's not difficult. Anyway, the D-Link is one of those featured in the "ADSL Router Tutorial" See <http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?IuoF7co%2FVcM%3D> for full details.

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]