cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about BT line and ADSL

N/A

I was wondering do I need to have BT as my telephone provider or i could have some other company like universal telecom.

Any info?
7 REPLIES
N/A

It must be a BT phoneline, yes.
N/A

damn, my dad just signed up for universal telecom!!!!

got to sort that out then
csogilvie
Grafter

Do they actually provide the line or is it Carrier Pre-Selection? For example our line is BT, but our calls are charged through someone else (can't remember who off hand)
Community Veteran

Check to see if they have their own ISP service - they may offer broadband in some form or other.

[append]

It uses Carrier pre-selection so should still be able to get broadband.

From their FAQ
21) IF I CHANGE TO UNIVERSAL TELECOM WILL THIS AFFECT THE USE OF MY CURRENT INTERNET PROVIDER?
No, you will still be able to benefit from your current service provider, as both Universal Telecom and the internet are compatible with each other. Each company will bill you individually for the service rendered.
N/A

Check to see if they have their own ISP service - they may offer broadband in some form or other.

[append]

It uses Carrier pre-selection so should still be able to get broadband.

From their FAQ
21) IF I CHANGE TO UNIVERSAL TELECOM WILL THIS AFFECT THE USE OF MY CURRENT INTERNET PROVIDER?
No, you will still be able to benefit from your current service provider, as both Universal Telecom and the internet are compatible with each other. Each company will bill you individually for the service rendered.

yes but they are playing smart there, they don't say weather that is for dial up or adsl.

I am 99.9% sure that adsl cannot work and that is why they don't tell you.

:lol:
csogilvie
Grafter

If it uses CPS broadband should be fine AFAIK or at least it is here.
N/A

That FAQ does not state broadband, or even Friaco for that matter.

CPS (Carrier Pre-Selection) means that a customer can choose telecom services from different phone companies by using their existing BT line. As a result, they will pay less for their phone calls. Even if they currently have a BT line and are already using services from other telecom companies, CPS may be a more convenient and inexpensive way of doing this. CPS will also make the market for other telecom services more competitive, which in turn, will help to cut prices in the future.

Again, who supplies the line. CPS requires that you have a line already from a provider like BT. You continue to pay line rental to BT.