cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about ADSL Broadband EasyStart

N/A

I recently subscribed to the PlusNet ADSL Broadband EasyStart package.

I notice that the cost of this package has now been reduced from £27.99 to £24.99 per month.

I have had 1 monthly payment debited so far. Will the remaining debits be made at the reduced rate?

Thank you.
12 REPLIES
N/A

I'm on the adsl home package, which I bought at £22.99. When they reduced it to £21.99 my monthly charge also reduced.

So in short I would say - yes, you will be charged the most recent price.
N/A

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

It's my understanding, even with proce reductions, +Net will inform you 14 days before any changes are made, not 14 days before payment is due.

Check your e-mail notibly the mailbox that collects mail for postmaster@<username>.plus.com (normaly the default mailbox does this).

Otherwise, I would ask using the link:contact us system.
N/A

I have just received notification that I will not be able to enjoy the price reduction from £27.99 to £24.99 as this reduced rate only applies to new customers.

So even though I have only been able to use my ADSL connection for about a week (due to PlusNet's delayed delivery of the ADSL hardware), I am now classed as an existing customer and am therefore contractually obliged to pay £3 per month more than someone signing on today.

What exactly am I paying the extra £3 per month for?

This strikes me as very unfair and I am not happy.
N/A

I also agree this is unfair, just as we have signed up a month before means we have to pay more money than people signing up now!? its quite outrageous
Community Veteran

And those of you that bought a brand new car last month get a refund when the price drops a month later?

No.

B.
N/A

I see your point zubel, but the reduction in price of new cars is almost always prompted by the introduction of a revised or newer model for which people will pay the extra premium.

The service to which I subscribed appears to be exactly the same in every way to the service to which you can now subscribe. Apart from the £3 per month difference.

Even the PlusNet homepage states the following:

Broadband EasyStart now just £24.99 a month!
Everything you need to get online with broadband for a simple subscription of just £24.99 a month (reduced from £27.99).

[Moderators note (by Chris): Removed unrequired quote from previous post, also added quote tags round the quote from the portal.]
N/A

Reduced price

I joined easystart and only got activated on Thursday.

I was told I will have to pay full price (£27.99) because I signed agreement a few days before 18th August.

This seems unfair - I was told my modem would be better- in fact it is a very cheap Binatone Modem.

It seems Plus net are more concerned about attracting new customers -rather than retaining present ones!

so much for Customer service!
N/A

Is that "EasyStart" package the one in which everything's bundled in -- the activation fee, the hardware -- which you pay for over the first year's subscription? So your monthly payments are slightly higher than for a normal account.

Which means your monthly payments will drop anyway, once the first year is over, and you're no longer paying for the activation and hardware.

The question is, why was the price of the EasyStart package reduced? Was it because the underlying monthly subscription fee has been reduced (haven't seen any indication of that), or was it because they've changed something else (some one suggested the hardware, I see)?

My experience is that if the monthly subscription changes, existing customers do go on to the new rate. In my case, having paid for a year's subscription in advance, a reduction in monthly subscription reflected itself in my subscription period being extended for several months.

If the change is not related to the subscription fee, then it must be related to the activation/hardware costs. Since you've "partaken" of those, it doesn't seem unreasonable that you do so at the rate in effect at the time, which in the case of EasyStart is spread across the first year's subscription.

So I reckon it's a case of a bit of unfortunate timing on your part. If they allowed you to have the reduced rate, why shouldn't someone who applied a day earlier than you also ask for it? And then someone a day earlier than him, and so on ad infinitum...

Right, where's my refund!
N/A

Which means your monthly payments will drop anyway, once the first year is over, and you're no longer paying for the activation and hardware

In the case of the £27.99 a month EasyStart, the payments do not drop after the first year, they stay the same for ever and a day.
Had some simple sums been done before signing up for this account , it would have shown that the initial saving would be eroded and wiped out after some time.
Some people may recall that I made a fuss about the so called free modem and activation fee, at the risk of saying I told you so, there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's true you do get anti virus and anti spam included, thrown in for free the ads said, but in truth they cost you £2.50 a month. Not good value in my opinion.
You takes your choice and pays your money. It's often said that if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
In the case of anybody paying £27.99 a month it's a case of next time look before you leap.
N/A

Re: Reduced price

It seems Plus net are more concerned about attracting new customers -rather than retaining present ones!

Don't know that I would agree they are more concerned about attracting new rather than retaining existing. Simple business fact however is that any ISP absolutely must attract new subscribers in order to sustain their growth.

I'm about 2 weeks into my contract for 1Mb Home Worker. I absolutely expect the price to drop sometime during the nex 12 months and I fully intend to take advantage of any price drop at the first opportunity I can, even if that means I have to wait until month 13.

If folks want to have the ability to chop and change contracts as and when they require, then they should opt for contracts that offer them that flexibility.
N/A

In the case of the £27.99 a month EasyStart, the payments do not drop after the first year, they stay the same for ever and a day.

Wow! It looks like I've completely misunderstood what that account is about!

Broadband EasyStart - The easy option for getting the benefits of Broadband connectivity without hassle or hidden costs.
N/A

Wow! It looks like I've completely misunderstood what that account is about!

Don't think you've misunderstood, PlusNet haven't claimed it is now the cheapest and will always be the cheapest. Fact is anyone taking on of these contracts would do well to put a date in the their diary for 11 months hence to review the market rather than just letting their contract toll over.