cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query - RE: PlusNet EasyStart

N/A

Hey folks, wondering if you might be able to give me a bit of help on something that we've only just noticed here.

We initially signed up for the Broadband EasyStart package on the 11/2/04, and haven't really had any issues with it, but now that we're coming to the end of the 12 month contract, we're a bit unsure as to what happens next.

I've taken a look at the upgrade/regrade pricing list, and I see it's going to cost £15 to get our connection moved onto the 512k Premier service, which will drop the monthly cost from £24.99 a month to £21.99 a month, I understand this is an admin fee, and for a standard regrade this would have to be paid, but does that fee also come into play when you're coming from an older package that is no longer sold when your 12 months are up (i.e. a forced regrade)? I'm not sure if it does, but if that is the case, I'm a bit non-plussed about it, since I can hardly continue using the service I was on as it's no longer available, in this case I dont see why we should have to pay.

Also on my mind is whether PlusNet themselves will contact us about the fact we're coming to the end of our contract, or whether we'll have to contact them ourselves to find out what's going on. Do PlusNet contact you about this? if so, how, and how much hassle is involved with sorting out the forced regrade so as not to cause any downtime on the connection?

Thanks for your time folks.
10 REPLIES
janitor
Grafter

as i understand it you stay on the easy start package at £24.99 if you wish to go onto the 512 premier at £21.99 you have to pay the regrade fee if not you just continue as now paying the higher price. Hope this clears things up Cheesy
Community Veteran

Plus.net will not contact you, you have to regrade if you chose.

As Edward says you have the choice of remaining on EasyStart at £24.99 per month or regarding, to another price plan. Like for like is 512 premier @ £21.99 per month, the regrade fee of £15 will be recouped in 5 months.

Chilly
N/A

PlusNet will not contact me, ok, yet you say I have a choice of remaining on the higher payments or switching to a product that is actually available now and lets me pay less, but how do I know when I'm supposed to take any action over it?

I dont want to have to pay another month at £24.99 if it isn't neccessary, but since right now I'm still within the 12 month contract, I also dont want to have to pay the higher admin fee that would apply for a regrade before the contract is completely finished, if that is indeed what would happen.

So now it's a case of how to go about sorting out the regrade to 512k Premier to coincide with the cessation date of the contract I'm currently bound to, is there a really simple method to doing this that will mean I dont have to pay another month at £24.99 before the switch happens, that would mean that on the day the contract expires I am transferred onto the appropriate service with no loss of connectivity?

(Note; As far as I know, the final month of the contract has already been paid)
Community Veteran

Check the following link;
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_transactions&s=0

To ensure that you have made 12 monthly payments.
Then you are free to regrade, the price should be confirmed as you go through the process.

Chilly
N/A

According to that link, all 12 payments have been made, so does this mean that I can effective immediately go through the regrade process to make sure no extra charges are incurred at the EasyStart pricing rate?
janitor
Grafter

well as far as i know once you have made your 12 payments you can regrade, i'm sure CS will inform you if this is wrong. Smiley
N/A

You can regrade at anytime, regardless of the 12 months, however the defered costs would be carried until the full 12 months are up.

Easy start to my knowledge is a monthly contract, and to move across to a 512K premier account should be free. It only costs if you change speed or from a monthly to an anuall contract.
Community Veteran

Changing from Easystart to broadband home 512K is not free because the new monthly cost reduces (24.99 -> 21.99). It is only free for the old ADSL homesurf (£18.99) and ADSL home (£21.99) products because the new monthly cost increases or stays the same.

See Residential Upgrade Price List.
N/A

Hi Peter, I can see what your saying, but it's slightly confusing. Since the price is only increased due to the defered costs, and the table above does state that moving to premier with no in speed etc would be free.

I guess there would be a £14.99 charge when you look at it, that way the tables are set out, but I'm not 100% on this, since I was under the impression that only a change in speed or contract would generate a cost.

For example if a person was on a easystart 1Mb and then changed down to a 512Mb, then I can see why. However as I said I'm not 100% sure, I could be wrong, and from the tables it does look like there would be a £14.99 charge.
N/A

I would like to add my tuppence worth. I am currently using an Easystart package paying £24.99 per month, and when I enquired about changing to the Premier package at £21.99 per month I was told it would incur a £15 admin fee. I am not looking to change my contract period or speed.

This seems very unfair to me. I've been a Plus Net customer for years, and am quick to praise the service and customer support which I have always found to be first class - I've also recommended a number of people. However, it seems that I'm being penalised for being a loyal customer and signing up for broadband at a time when the prices were more expensive.

It's not the amount of the fee but the principle of it that has annoyed me. It seems that Plus have changed the packages to attract new customers but it doesn't matter about their existing ones who will either put up or cough up.