cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy Server, Internet sharing & Outlook - Help Rqrd

N/A

Proxy Server, Internet sharing & Outlook - Help Rqrd

I have 3 PCs at home, all successfully sharing files using a home network, via a hub/nics.
They also share my ADSL internet access via a free Proxy Server called AnalogX.
I have the internal PCI ADSL Modem, so configuration is a bit more of a pain than with an external router/modem.

My question...
I am trying to read my e-mail using Outlook.
I have every version of my e-mail address I can think of into the Proxy Server, but I can still only send, and not recieve e-mails.
Within Outlook, the account details appear tpo be correct (all same details, but with pop3/smtp servers pointing to my gateway pc 192.168.0.1). Within the proxy server, the POP3 set to mail.plus.net, and SMTP to relay.plus.net.

Does anyone know how to configure AnalogX, or know of "better" (free?) proxy Server software.
I would also like, if possible, to find a Proxy Server supporting Socks5/UDP to allow me to play online games from one of my PCs (not the one with the PCI ADSL Modem/direct access).

Ideas anyone?

2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Proxy Server, Internet sharing & Outlook - Help Rqrd

> Does anyone know how to configure AnalogX, or know
> of "better" (free?) proxy Server software.

First, test the basic connectivity. From your "server" box, make sure you can "telnet mail.plus.net 110" and see if you get a response (POP3)". Ditto for "telnet relay.plus.net 25". That proves your connectivity from the server to +net is OK.

Also, on your server, try "netstat -na | more", and look for the lines that look like these:

TCP 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

You may find the 0.0.0.0 bits have 192.168.x.x addresses instead - that's OK, that just shows that it's only accepting connections on those ports from your internal LAN.

These "LISTENING" lines show that the server is waiting for connections on the relevant ports, which is what I would expect to see for a proxying application.

Then, from a "client", do a "telnet server 110" and "telnet server 25" and see if it responds. What you should get back are the POP3/SMTP banners from the +net servers, as your gateway app should be proxying for you.

"Connection refused" would show that your server isn't accepting requests on the relevant ports, so your gateway product isn't configured as you think it should be. If you don't the the POP3/SMTP banners back from the +net machines, you'll probably have to post some logs here to help us to help you.

> I would also like, if possible, to find a Proxy
> Server supporting Socks5/UDP to allow me to play
> online games from one of my PCs (not the one with
> the PCI ADSL Modem/direct access).

I use danted on linux, but you may find it cumbersome to set up under a cygwin environment. I've never heard of a free socks5 proxy that runs under w2k.

HTH

Bern
N/A

RE: Proxy Server, Internet sharing & Outlook - Help Rqrd

Cant help you regarding AnalogX but i used to use Kerio Winroute Pro it was extremely good as a combined software firewall/router.

I now have a dedicated router hardware so no longer use it but would still recommend it for windows users.

Ali