cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product positioning?

Stef
Grafter

Product positioning?

I note that the Solwise 130 is positioned by Plusnet as part of an "Advanced" package.

The thing is so easy to set up and imo 10/100BaseT is by far the easiest and most reliable way to connect to an ADSLModem - even for a single PC - (Why on earth anyone would want to struggle with internal/PCI or USB escapes me)...

Perhaps Plusnet should produce a BASIC package including the SAR-130 too? With the Caviat: "Your computer needs to have a network card to use this package" - "How to tell if your computer has a network card...?" and "If you don't have a network card most computer shops can fit one for about £15"... or some such?

I think more customers would get an all round better "experience" using this kind of approach...

Cheers, Stefan
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Product positioning?

The difficulty with Ethernet based routers is not all PCs come with an Ethernet port whereas ALL PCs come with a USB port. So it would involve fitting a network card which in turn means taking the PC cover off. Many users of broadband may also be new to computing (even some who have used their PCs for years may have no knowledge of what is under the cover, and in many cases don't need to know anyway. There are many PC users who would have no idea how to purchase, let alone fit a network card to their system. If it involves removing the cover they would have problems. So for practicle reasons and not forgetting cost, USB based ADSL modems are the best solution for the majority of subscribers.

In the majority of cases fitting a USB based ADSL modem is very easy and you can be up and running within 10 minutes. This for many is all they need and can surf and collect email without problems. While you may see a higher proportion of USB problems reported here, by it's very nature this is where people will ask for help. Those who fit the modem and are up and running may not even know about this forum let alone make any comments.

While I would always recommend Ethernet based ADSL modem/routers, this is often not a viable option for many users so PlusNet, like many other ISPs offer a simple solution to getting connected. The Plug and go USB modem.

And those who are more computer savvy go for the wires only option and purchase the ADSL modem/router they want to use, often at a much cheper price than PlusNet charge.
Stef
Grafter

Product positioning?

Thanks,

What you say makes sense...

It amazes me that some new PC's don't come with Network Interface sockets... They are *SO* useful and make home networking and connecting things easy peasy. Also all the networking gear that works with these Ethernet devices are much cheaper than USB (MUCH cheaper!).

My advice to any newbie purchasing ANY PC is make sure it has a 10/100 Ethernet port. Even if you don't use it today you may well tomorrow and the marginal cost is peanuts (usually less than £10).