cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probs with Belkin wireless modem/router.

N/A

Since I've installed my new modem/router I can't get to Windows Update and I can't post to the forums....

If this works, I'll have to eat my hat...
(Edit)
Oh well - pass the salt and pepper.

It looks as if it's my attempts to use the wireless part is causing the probs.
When my laptop and desktop are both on ethernet (as now) everything seems OK. As soon as I try to connect the laptop wirelessly I have probs. It reports a connection but I can't ping anything router, desktop or the outside world. I'm using WInXP Home on both PC's both on same workgroup and fixed IP's
192.168.2.1 router
-:- 2 laptop wireless
-:- 4 laptop ethernet
-:- 3 desktop ethernet

I'd be grateful if anybody has any suggestions :?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Do you have WEP encryption turned on, this
should be initially turned off to allow windows to
log on.
N/A

May sound silly but have you tried double clicking on the icon next to your clock and telling it that you want to connect to the available network that it has detected ?

btw, was it a pc world special ? if it was, it will be the same as mine.

Bill
N/A

Aleca - I tried initially with encryption disabled. Then wep128 enabled. In both cases after making necessary alterations I autoconnect with a "Excellent Strength" message - just can't do anything with the connection. At first I couldn't connect at all but changing the channel setting for the pcmcia card (Linksys) from 11 to 1immediately gave me a connection - I jus can't do anything with it.

Bill - Yes the laptop is a PCWorld special which is OK - trouble is the people who sell them know just a tad more than my Shih Tzu about networking. Yes amongst many other things I have clicked on the icon and connected, although as I say it does it automatically.
N/A

I meant was the networking kit from pc world.

have you tried letting the laptop (and your other gear) get its ip address etc automatically ? the router should be set to give them out.

Bill
N/A

<snip>have you tried letting the laptop (and your other gear) get its ip address etc automatically

Yes, tried both dhcp and specified ip's. If anything at the moment I'm getting further away from sorting it out.

One thing I can say is that I can definitely recommend this wireless system for anyone who wants to use ethernet 'cause that works like a dream Wink
N/A

This should be a very simple set up both via the wizard, or manual set up.
You should have both a Wired LAN Icon on your Network connections
page and also a Wireless LAN Icon. When the wireless LAN is connected
your Wired should read disabled or cable unplugged.
If you've checked that the wireless LAN properties are set up, similarly to
the wired Lan , then theres no reason for the wireless not to work.
If you've set up router and pc with the same SSID and put the same WEPcode in both router and laptopcard then it should work. I suspect the problem lies with the security set up.
I've had a quick look via google and the user reviews for this unit range
from very good to similar to your experience.
I understand there's a free 24 hour customer service line for this product
so I would give them a call. I read that one user was guided through
the manual installation and given details not available on the user guide
so I suspect their customer service must be aware of this problem
Alec.
N/A

Just in case anyone is interested. Spent about an hour and a half on the phone to Belkin this afternoon, exceptionally helpful they were too. I reckon that this is the best tech support I've ever experienced.

After going through all the things I've tried myself the chap in the call centre ( think it was in India ) was just suggesting that I contact Linksys support to ask for help with configuring the pcmcia card. As the conversation was closing I mentioned that I'd never seen the wlan light illuminated.

I got transferred to the senior technician on duty and it appears that light should be on all the time if the wireless option is activated, unlike the ethernet that only comes on if there is a live connection. A couple of hard resets failed to work so after several days of hair pulling - the router is faulty :!: :roll: - oh well now I'll find out how good Dabs return procedures are...
Community Veteran

Well, Dabs recommend you return it straight back to the manufaturer - you'll have to wait for Belkin to issue you with a replacement, not Dabs.

Thomas
N/A

<snip>you'll have to wait for Belkin to issue you with a replacement

Smiley I don't think so. I have no enforceable contract with Belkin as I do with Dabs.

Pragmatically I may - but I don't have to.
N/A

AFter 30 days after Purchase and in many circumstances within that 30 days, Dabs will simply forward the device onwards to Belkin or there own suppliers.

I recomend using your manufacturers warrentee direct, if your first contact with Dabs is not good.

In the past, I have found the following true with Dabs.

If the device is standalone and config can be a user problem, then dabs may accept it but forward it on.

If you have been in contact with the manufacturer of the device, and they deem it faulty, Dabs will either tell you to persue Belkin, or simply forward it on themselves.