cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with installing Binatone ADSL500 modem with XP Home

N/A

I have been running XP home with the Binatone ADSL500 modem for some months without any problems. I do not know if it is coincidental but since installing XP Service Pack 2, the modem seems to have disabled itself on occasions. I therefore decided to uninstall and re-install. The installation failed at about 90% through, even after a few attempts.
Fortunately I also had XP Prof installed on the PC and decided to try an install . No problem! My only problem now is that I will lose all my e-mails in Outlook Express and will have to re-install all my software and drivers . I have visited the Binatone website and downloaded drivers dated 3 Sep 04, which I thought may resolve the issue. No luck.
Does anyone have any ideas please? Is is possible to uninstall XP Service Pack 2 perhaps?

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): BB Code removed from title as this does not work]
12 REPLIES
btcsbb

Service Pack 2

I have been looking at these forums as I installed SP2 and lost all of my internet connections. I am still trying to get everything working again, luckily I also have a laptop which has not been 'updated', so I have not lost communications!

You can remove SP2 from 'Add & Remove Programmes'. You will probably have to reinstall SP1 as it seems to be removed when SP2 is installed.

I tried to use 'Sytem Restore' as I had set a restore immediately before installing SP2 (it also sets a restore point, but none of these would restore at any stage?

I am still researching and will return to the Forum.

btcsbb
pcorker
Grafter

Co-incidentally, I have just installed the "new" drivers only to discover on looking more closely that they seem to be the same as the old ones!
I recently uninstalled and reinstalled SP2 ( over a different issue) without problems - just took ages!
Startup has been a little dodgey since SP2. I am guessing that the network interface is now slower to initialise and that something is trying to access it before it is ready. Anyway, it seems to be some sort of startup timing issue. Something is not getting on with the conexant drivers. It had been trouble free for months. (XP home 3_lights modem 550MHz cpu))
pcorker
Grafter

I emailed Binatone and got this (very quick!) reply

"The 'A' and 'B' revisions refer to the serial numbers of the modems they are
to be used with there is no update yet for the BB range of modems, we are
looking at the possibility of an update for XPSP2"

Paul Chapman

Binatone Broadband

So the drivers on the site are NOT an update

(....How long has SP2 beta been out for?)
N/A

Well, SP2 is no longer Beta.

However, Betas are not allways the best test platform for new/refresh drivers.

Between beta and go-live, more issues could come about, making the drivers pointless.
Community Veteran

I also think the A and B versions refer to the older 2 light (A) or the newer 3 light (B) versions mentioned in other threads on this forum. Maybe people can confirm this so it's easier to distinguish what version you have.
pcorker
Grafter

The A and B stuff was a bit of a red herring - I only included it for completeness.
Binatone say:

"REVISION A:
If you look at the side of your modem, there should be a barcode with s/n written next to it and then a large serial number....If the serial number begins with "AO" then you will need the Revision A drivers.

REVISION B:
Please locate the serial number on the bottom of your modem, if it starts as BB then you will need to download the Revision B drivers."

I think acarr is being a trifle pragmatic but I will grudgingly agree!
N/A

Sad Yes, well am now proud owner of brand-new PC (with Xp Pro SP2 of course). My attempts to transfer "old" modem across from the old PC met with singular lack of success. "Help" desk were most unimpressed on hearing that I had SP2 and only help they suggested was" Buy a new modem" On pointing out that I had been a faithful Plusnet broadband customer for the last two years and they might want to send me another right away and that, if necessary, I can get free modems by switching to another ISP for the same monthly price , was met with the "shrug of shoulders". I know it's only another £10 or so, but it was the singular lack of helpfulness. So, BT, here I come.!!
N/A

Hi there,

Congratulations on the new PC. Hope you enjoy it.

With reference to the modem. Can you tell us the make and model?

Someone here may help with current or compatible drivers.
N/A

Mark,
thanks for your reply.

Label on the base of the modem is
Dynamode A360
ADSL USB modem
5v DC 500mA

Maybe it just needs an update driver, but the main point behind my "bleet" was the lack of concern from Plusnet "support" person. I can go buy a new ADSL modem - no problem- equally I can switch ISPs very easily - the support person just did not seem to be worried that PlusNet were about to lose a customer!

I look forward to hearing from you.
pcorker
Grafter

N/A

Yes thanks I did, and down loaded driver, but still no connection!
N/A

Hi there,

Sorry I missed this thread previously.

When you set the modem up originally, did you do so whilst it was unplugged from the PC's usb port?

If not, I would completely uninstall the modem, and do a fresh reinstall and only connect it when prompted by the set up screen.

Not all usb modems adopt the same set up routine, but most need to be done this way.

For more info and set up guide see this