cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with gaming within seconds of 4pm

N/A

Hey i've been trying to play World of Warcraft daily, normally its fine but within 10mins of 4pm hitting i get constant lag and disconnects. I'm more than aware other applications may impact speed etc so i've disabled everything and checked my firewalls to monitor traffic. When 4pm hits anything more than loading a webpage and the game becomes unplayable till around 10-11pm. I've checked download rates, they seem to hang around 10kb/s of available bandwidth, obviously this needs looking at considering i'm connecting at 7.5mb.

Thanks for your time please contact me if you need further information.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi,

Does this only happen after a certain period of the month has gone?
I would advise looking at this page to see why your speeds are currently restricted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

It appears to be the problem yes, my usage seems to have gone past the limit. Is it possible to change the prioritys for my connection as i require stable gaming on a daily basis while websites arn't as crital for me?
N/A

Essentially you've gone past the usage allowance for your product- rather than cut you off completely PlusNet limit your connection during "peak times" to a speed that is literally designed to only allow you to surf and send or receive e-mail.

Without these restrictions there wouldn't be a great deal of point in having the limits and, without the limits, the ISP goes bust as bandwidth costs more than the customer is paying for it.

Either upgrade your account, or wait until your next billing date when your peak time connection speed will be restored.
N/A

To be honest, gaming and PlusNet now seem to be hit and miss.
I never go above my usage limit but since the 8mg upgrade, everything is slower EXCEPT for http downloads.
For example, I can download a 20mb file from a website in 3-4 mins which is great, but gaming...forget it. My approx pings:

before (1mb) - CS Source - 75ms
- BF2 - 100ms

After (8mb?) - CS Sourse - 135+
- BF2 - 175+

And like you said, between 4 -12 pm, the time we're most likely to go on, disconnects, lag spikes especially.

Shame really, because I've been with PlusNet for 6 years but just think maybe its time to shift over to Zen or Bulldog(crappy support I know!)

And what ever happened to Nildram?Huh
N/A

Been checking my connection out and playing around, yes its limited and i'm not complaining about that i can totally understand the reason behind it. The complaint i have is that while playing WoW it uses around 2bytes/s of data out of 1000bytes/s available at that cap, loading a website (or anything else having higher priority than that traffic), is causing massive lag and disconnects. Considering i share the connection with my sister i can't tell her not to load a website just cause i'm gaming.

I'll probably upgrade the connection when i get some spare money as i'm really happy with plusnet overall, i'ld just like to know if its possible to change the prioritys on my line, so i don't get disconnected all the time Smiley
N/A

Normally gaming is prioritised above HTML- I guess this doesn't apply when your account is being restricted though, as the idea is just to allow basic web and e-mail.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

If some else starts web browsing on your connection it will impact your gaming pings regardless of which ISP you are on. My wife kindly does this and you can tell when BF2142 starts lagging a bit.

Your pings seem very high for BF2 and CS. Mine are normally around 20ms even at peak times. Do you connect via a router or a USB modem ?

If you have a router before you start playing BF2 turn off any software Antivirus and protection as you won't need it (turn it back on for anything else though). My friend forgot to turn off his Anti Virus and his ping shot up from 20ms to 100ms in CS and BF2.

If you have a USB modem there is not much you can do as you need the Antivirus and software firewall up to protect your PC. You may want to try getting a router as it will take the load off you PC and maximise gaming performance. This does assume your PC is up to running the game in the first place as a lack of RAM, CPU or Graphics card can affect you ping to some extent if your PC is struggling.

Hope that helps.
N/A

I use a Netgear 834G router, I turn off my AV when I play, and Ive monkeyed around with my MTU and various other settings to try and speed up my ping. Nothing helps Sad
Ive also reinstalled my OS and I have 2gb ram, 64 bit cpu gf7800 etc etc. Im sure its a network priority issue even when your accounts not restricted.