cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Phone & USB Modem Connection

SheffieldMike
Grafter

I seem to have a problem with my (fairly new upgrade) 1Mb ADSL connection.

The setup is as follows:
Master & extension socket downstairs, phone and BT (CD1500) Call Display connected via a filter.
Upstairs, Voyager 105 USB modem connected to extension via a filter. I use a laptop which is not connected during the day (coz it's with me out of the house).

For about 2 weeks until today this has been working fine. Today, the phone went U/S - displaying 'phone in use' permanently and unable to ring in or out. Tried disconnecting phone and modem from sockets, and re-connecting after 10 mins - same problem. Tried disconnecting the black cable from the modem (i.e. no connection btw filter & modem) - same problem. Tried disconnecting modem & filter (i.e. no connection btw filter & the socket) - cured the phone problem immediately.

Here's the interesting bit : connected the modem to the other side of the downstairs filter - no phone problem. In fact I have sent this via that connection, and rung in & out of the phone - but it's not convenient long-term.

Surely if the upstairs filter, or the extension, were at fault then the system would not have worked from Day One? and anyway surely that would have meant no data connection, not a phone fault?

I would be grateful for all suggestions (before my other half suggests a choice btw the computer or her . . . )

Mike of Sheffield
4 REPLIES
N/A

Modems/routers don't require filtering, the ADSL-side of the 'splitter' is unfiltered - only 'phones/other telephony devices/Sky Boxes, etc., need to be filtered.
SheffieldMike
Grafter

(I know.)

- Which makes it rather surprising that if there is a filter connected to a blind cable off the extension, it affects the phone on the 'master' socket . . .

But it's true, Guv, honest !

Mike of Sheffield.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it was just an unnecessary copy of the preceding post.
Community Veteran

It could be that the filter in question has developed a short circuit condition which would affect anything on the line wherever it was connected.
SheffieldMike
Grafter

You could be right , John Esssex.

I have tried removing the filter & plugging the modem direct into the extension socket via a 'BT-to-UK' convertor;; so far all is OK.

For penalt's benefit - the filter was in place upstairs
1) because I needed a (BT to US) convertor of some kind anyway
2) to enable me to plug a phone in if necessary later.

Mike of Sheffield.