cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with DG834Gv1

N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

I have a problem with my DG834Gv1, I have it set to disconnect after 30mins, but when I log in to windows I can not access the internet, When I go in the router setup it says that it is connected, but nethier machine that I have can connect. The other thing I have noticed is that MSN messenger will log in then disconnect again. If I reboot the router I can get on the net with no problem.

I am using firmware ver 2.10.22
Encapsulation is set to PPPoA
Internet IP Address is set to Get Dynamically From ISP
Primary DNS is 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS is 212.159.13.50
Multiplexing Method is VC-BASED
VPI is 0
VCI is 38
I am running XP with SP2, Zone Alarm and AVAST anti-virus.

Can anyone help with this problem? Which router would be a good replacement if I cannot fix this?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Problems with DG834Gv1

Is there reason why you are using the idle disconnect feature? Normally this is not required and you can set it to 0. I assume you have tried this and it has been OK/FAILS?

What happens if you manually disconnet then reconnect on the connection status page?

Netgear have had problems in the past with idle disconnect not working correctly but I believe they were fixed a few firmware versions ago.

Have you tried downgrading to 1.05.00 and seeing if the same thing happens. Or even the earlier beta 2.10.09?

Also what does the router log show around the time the disconnect occurs and when you try and use the internet again. Any PPP/LCP messages showing a connect attemp and failure?
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

The reason that I had it set to time out was that seening as I was not in during the day I saw no reason to leave it connected all the time.
With it set to always on I get no problems connecting apart from the MSN loging in then after a few moments losing the connection.
I get no errors in the log file.

When plusnet move over to the ide time out how will that work with routers that are set to always on?

Does any one have views on the linksys WAG354G?
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

Hi there,

You should be able to reconnect the 834G from the "Connection Status" button on the Status screen without having to reboot the router.

It is designed to be always on and this is the option recommended by Netgear.

In my humble but biased opinion the Netgear by far outstrips Linksys any day.

There are no known reconnect problems with the firmware version you are using.
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

I had a play with this - the same router (DG834Gv1), firmware, etc...

Set my idle tim eout to 5 mins. I saw the modem drop the link. When I log into MSN, the router connects OK and then MSN does shortly after. Still not dropped out as of yet...

But I am using wireless (not wired) tho...
jabb0
Grafter

Problems with DG834Gv1

Ok when i go to bed at night i switch my router off at the plug, and then turn it back on the morning when i get up (those flashy lights would give me insomnia) - no problemo - i is using an netgear router too.

So why not just turn it off at the plug before you leave and turn it back on when you get back?

I think that leaving things on stanby is bad... just one or two ppl makes no difference, but when you addit all up were are just melting the ice caps dude - im not a greepeace dude, or a hippy dude, an yes when i am at my compo they prolly need to start up another generator at the power plant, but when i go it goes off - the only thing that is always on is my stereo - cos its the only thing on earth that has a remote chance of disturbing my sleep enough in the morning for me to think about getting up (Im a student on the last few weeks of my hols - and i am going to enjoy my bed whilst i still can)
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try re-flashing the latest firmware, and try tweaking the zonealarm and avast settings, I think that might be messing things up.
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

I fixed the problem Cheesy Cheesy , It was the sequence that programs loaded, I found a free piece of software called Startright http://www.joejoesoft.com/.
I've managed to get Zone Alarm to load first then everything else.
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

I've managed to get Zone Alarm to load first then everything else.

Not sure why this would have any impact of your router, since it's not part of the software on your machine. Strange one, but good to hear you got it working.
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

Very useful info. I had the same problem some time ago and found that shutting ZoneAlarm down allowed me to connect again. Restarting ZoneAlarm, blocked the connection again.
In these cases, I ended up rebooting the PC, which sorted the connection. It just meant I couldn't leave the PC on and unattended for long periods of time.

Cheers
Chris
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

cjr64,

When you restart zone alarm, is it asking you to allow a network connection? if it is, then you need to allow this connection or otherwise it will be blocked.
N/A

Problems with DG834Gv1

No. Just restarted it and got the same no connection result. It didn't ask for anything.

It has to be said that since I upgraded it to the latest version, I've not experienced this problem again.

Cheers
Chris